Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No recognition at the BAFTA's
21-02-2006, 09:58 PM,
Gutted as I am to miss out the other night at the BAFTA awards in the category of Best Cinematography, I wonder how our editor is getting along putting together the Almeria footage I skillfully Rolleyes took?

Nice to see Sweder get a mention in Best Supporting Actress category though. :p
21-02-2006, 10:08 PM,
It's a fair question, SP. The truth is that I've spent something like 3 days and more cash than I want to think about, trying to get the damn camera hooked up to my PC. I've tried a variety of cables, and have been pestering Usenet for clues. I bought a brand new 300gb drive to store all my video, but so far am completely unable to use it.

Believe me, I'm working on it, and hope to get it sorted in time for the Big One. The annual Shakey Hand Oscar is yours for the taking...
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
23-02-2006, 09:51 PM,
Andy I've had words with a mate who knows about these things.

You need a cable called 'firewire'.

Apparently...Confused
23-02-2006, 11:17 PM,
I suspect the missing ingredient is liquid and served in most reputable inns Wink
I've had sodd all joy with several IT related matters. Trying to set up a wireless router in my home has seriously impaired my will to live . . . so I've given up and I'm going to naff off for a few days to ingest some of the finest margaritas known to man.
And think about it.

Or not Cool

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

23-02-2006, 11:20 PM,
Seafront Plodder Wrote:Andy I've had words with a mate who knows about these things. You need a cable called 'firewire'.

Nearly right, old chap. You use a socket on your PC called a Firewire port. You probably have one. Looks a bit like a USB port, but smaller.

I have 2 of them, and cables that fit at both ends, but no connection is being made i.e. no actual data is passing from the camera to the PC.

Why not? Who knows? It's foxed the finest brains on the planet...

Sad
El Gordo

23-02-2006, 11:28 PM,
Sweder Wrote:I suspect the missing ingredient is liquid and served in most reputable inns Wink
I've had sodd all joy with several IT related matters. Trying to set up a wireless router in my home has seriously impaired my will to live . . . so I've given up and I'm going to naff off for a few days to ingest some of the finest margaritas known to man.
And think about it.
Or not Cool

I fear the problem is that the 'missing ingredient' has not been missing at all....

Your wireless router should work 'out of the box'. Setting the security (WEP and all that) can be sticky though... even I managed it in the end.
El Gordo

24-02-2006, 12:06 PM,
Sounds like a software / driver issue Andy. What editing software are you using? And are you trying to capture from this?

Incidently, Glaconwoman was working as a trainee film editor at ITV last year. They use Avid and the like in the studios. But for a home / pc video editing solution I think she was quite impressed with Vegas as a starting point. If you were to invest even more cash, that is.

We bought a Sony hdv fx1 before we left and have abit of footage from the bombay marathon, so hopefully I can get that onto th'web in time.

cheers.
24-02-2006, 12:10 PM,
Sweder;

I seem to remember the MAC address is the best id to use for setting wireless router security.

ipconfig /all from the cmd line
it's the physical address

If that helps.
24-02-2006, 12:18 PM,
Oh, all this sounds horribly familiar. Spent the best part of 4 weeks trying to get a wireless router to work. In the end it was a simple case of IP addresses. We'd had every component (MAC, WEP and all those other nasty ambiguous things) right at some stage, but never had all of them right at the same time ... too many variables you see.

But... once we phoned the right person (i.e. Mr.SmartArse who actually knows this stuff), we set it up in 5 minutes, and connected a third computer to the network in less than 2 minutes.

The moral? Don't call me. I still don't understand it. But do call someone who does understand this stuff, and they'll talk you through it on the phone in no time at all.

You just gotta phone enough people until you find the right know-it-all.

As for firewire - call a Mac nut. They understand firewire inside out.

But don't call me Eek
Run. Just run.
24-02-2006, 12:53 PM,
Eh? Eek Eek Eek

And it was quite enough for me just to work out how to upload photos......
24-02-2006, 01:19 PM,
glaconman Wrote:Sounds like a software / driver issue Andy.

Been through that hoop a few times. The camera (Canon MV450i) has no special drivers at all, apparently. When I connect the camera, I get no "new hardware found" message. Nothing ever gets installed or becomes visible in order for me to try updating drivers. (Not that there's any driver to use to update.)

The IEEE1394 Firewire port is showing in Device Manager though I've no other FW devices to test it with. Have triewd 3 different cables.

Not a flicker of recognition.

glaconman Wrote:What editing software are you using? And are you trying to capture from this?

Incidently, Glaconwoman was working as a trainee film editor at ITV last year. They use Avid and the like in the studios. But for a home / pc video editing solution I think she was quite impressed with Vegas as a starting point. If you were to invest even more cash, that is.

We bought a Sony hdv fx1 before we left and have abit of footage from the bombay marathon, so hopefully I can get that onto th'web in time.

cheers.

I've tried 2: the in-built Windows Movie Maker, and something called PowerDirector.

Neither is seeing the camera, though they do know I have other things connected like a printer and a webcam.

I would happily consider changing software if I get a good recommendation but I need to sort this other issue out first.
El Gordo

24-02-2006, 01:22 PM,
glaconman Wrote:Sweder;

I seem to remember the MAC address is the best id to use for setting wireless router security.

ipconfig /all from the cmd line
it's the physical address

If that helps.

I used WEP which was fiddly (though it now works). I didn't know about MAC. Useful to know. Cheers.
El Gordo

24-02-2006, 02:52 PM,
Thanks so much for all that. Mine's a super large mocha with extra vanilla.

My 12 degree TM R580 XD is still adding oomph to those drives..., SP.
Out of sight (and not always bushes left, either).
14-06-2006, 04:44 PM,
Andy if you mail me the tape, I have someone who has guaranteed me Rolleyes that he can convert camcorder tape to mp3 format.

Must be worth a go. That last lap *cough* sprint around the Almeria track demands a wider audience.