Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I've just been for a swim in the Thames....
20-01-2006, 04:33 PM,
And loads of boats started following me. Big Grin
22-01-2006, 01:06 AM,
Hope you fared better than that poor whale Rolleyes
Run. Just run.
22-01-2006, 07:46 AM,
[ooh err I feel a tongue-in-cheek rant coming on]

Another paradox of this planet and the ridiculous race that thinks it runs it. I like a whale as much as the next bloke (unless there's a shortage of soy sauce), but it's hard to justify the mass hysteria and media hype.

I understand that a whale in the Thames is a rare occurrence - the last one was in the late 1800's. But the plight of this poor creature, which evidently swam 'inland' to die in peace and with dignity, has attracted the most absurd publicity, attention and public sympathy. It's a micro version of the Diana weep-fest that Nigel was talking about. You bump into someone you haven't seen for several millennia in the supermarket.
'Hey, how are you - I see you got that electrolysis we talked about!'
'Yeah, it's great, I get asked to parties all the time now. Wow, how 'bout that poor whale, huh? D'ya think they'll ever blah blah blah . . . '

Put into context, children die every day, in fact every minute of every day, because they don't have enough to eat. Does this mean we can't hear about the whale on TV? No. But I have the sneaking suspicion that just now there would be equal support to prevent another such 'tragedy' by erecting 'whale-safe nets' at the mouths of all major rivers in the UK as there would to any effort to relieve global famine.

As the good people of Putney were singing last night:
'Whale meat again . . .'

[/ooh err I feel a tongue-in-cheek rant coming on]

______________________________________________________________________________________
Sweder, Former member of Greenpeace & proud of it but a bit tired of whale stories just at the moment

ps: I'm not sure I'm really a morning person . . .
By the way, I notice that online just now are me and 27 'guests'. It's really quite a good party.
As it's before 8 am on a Sunday I guess they're 'spiders' or some-such internet-type auto-checking device (losing touch with technology here).
What are these critters, and what purpose do they serve?
22-01-2006, 08:18 AM,
Sweder Wrote:As it's before 8 am on a Sunday I guess they're 'spiders' or some-such internet-type auto-checking device (losing touch with technology here). What are these critters, and what purpose do they serve?

Oh that'd just be Dubya's cronies, checking up on us trouble makers and organic worm farmers*.

MLCMan

(Similarly ex-Greenpeace activist, and still causing trouble).

*Slightly confusing cross-thread information there, but it keeps the spiders busy.
Run. Just run.
22-01-2006, 08:29 AM,
I have to say the worms are of mild concern.
Mrs S had a 'worm' phase - that's enough giggling out of you, SP.
I have to say things were a bit quiet in the bedroom for a while around that time.

Sadly it all ended in tears. One morning I awoke to a terrible shriek from the garden. It was Mrs S, pale, in tears, the lid of her wormery in one hand, the other covering her mouth.
'They're all gone!' she wailed.

A cup of tea and all the right (sympathetic) noises helped calm her down, and I vowed to investigate. After an extensive search it transpired the cunning little devils had tunnelled their way out. Brilliant, especially when you consider they've no trouser-legs in which to hide the dirt from the tunnels . . .

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

22-01-2006, 10:20 AM,
Sweder Wrote:After an extensive search it transpired the cunning little devils had tunnelled their way out. Brilliant, especially when you consider they've no trouser-legs in which to hide the dirt from the tunnels . . .

They probably just ate the dirt. Yech.
Run. Just run.
22-01-2006, 10:53 AM,
Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote:They probably just ate the dirt. Yech.

...I feel another poo thread coming on. Eek
22-01-2006, 12:18 PM,
Sweder Wrote:By the way, I notice that online just now are me and 27 'guests'. It's really quite a good party.
As it's before 8 am on a Sunday I guess they're 'spiders' or some-such internet-type auto-checking device (losing touch with technology here).
What are these critters, and what purpose do they serve?

That's probably because I checked a box under the hood last night, thinking "I wonder what that does? I think you just told me. It makes their activities more visible. As for what they do, they are mostly search engines looking to bookmark pages. I think. I don't really know.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
27-01-2006, 10:29 AM,
I've just found this latest report, containing excellent in-depth analysis. There's a veritable tide of insights here, and the writing is of the first water, too.

It made me blubber – Moby that's because I'm a Londoner.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

27-01-2006, 10:58 AM,
Whale Oil Beef Hooked.. Big Grin