Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bombay 2006 Part 2
21-12-2005, 08:33 PM,
Bombay 2006 Part 2
Just a quick update on my progress.

I'm still potentially on track for this event. I think.

Over the last couple of weekends I've managed 2 long runs. Not quite as long as the schedules would insist on, but potentially long enough. Ten days ago I did a 16 miler and yesterday a 19 mile run. They amounted to 2:30 and 3:10 of continuous running. Each run broke the record books for me, so I have to feel like I'm making good progress.

I can't say I really enjoyed either. Both of them were flat slogs on hard ground in grey, cold weather. And my knees felt assaulted the next day.

But tomorrow we fly to Bombay and then on to Pune for my taper. Different conditions and new challenges await.

I still have a long to-do list before going to bed, so I can't really dwell.

Andy: thanks for the links and further info. Helpful as always.
22-12-2005, 03:04 AM,
Bombay 2006 Part 2
Nice work glaconman - just what you need to outrun those leopards Smile

Keep us posted!

Run. Just run.
22-12-2005, 08:37 AM,
Bombay 2006 Part 2
Bon Voyage, Gaconman.
Sounds like you're on target for a decent run - look forward to hearing all about it.
Best of luck with the climate and time changes.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

22-12-2005, 11:04 AM,
Bombay 2006 Part 2
Yeah, all the best mate. Sounds like you'll be OK for the distance. It's just the heat that's the worry now. If I remember rightly, January is a good month - warm but not too humid. Will still be much hotter than you've trained in, so let's hope you can get acclimatised in the time.

Remember, take it easy. No one gives a toss whether you take 4 hours or 6. Just get round, and take in the sights and sounds. Keep hydrated and mentally tough, and you'll be fine.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
24-12-2005, 11:36 AM,
Bombay 2006 Part 2
Thanks very much for the encouragement guys.

Wise words indeed Andy. I'm fairly competitive with myself when it comes to these things and found myself pushing for a time during my half a few years back. But this time it's all about getting around and making sure I enjoy as much as possible.

We had a pretty arduous journey as we opted to drive down to Pune from Bombay straight after landing, so it was 5am local time before we hit-the-sack.

Last night I ventured out into the Indian night for a swift hour of running. I probably won't be doing it again, there's just far too much risk running on Indian roads at night. There's very little street lighting and masses of pot-holes. The rains were very bad this year so most of the roads have suffered.

When the traffic is heavy you're competing with pedestrians, bikes, scooters, rickshaws, lorries, buses, cows, goats, stray dogs .... the list goes on.

When the traffic disappears you're left with darkness and potholes. You end up trying to anticipate the changing surface. Bit of a lottery. I was worried about being chased by stray dogs, but I've been told they're fairly indifferent in Pune. If we were in Bombay then they would chase me.

But I'm glad I went out to stretch my legs. And for the experience. Indian urban night running must come under the category of 'extreme running'.

We're on the outskirts of a large city and it's not ideal. I would like to be on my in-laws farm to train. But we'll be here, so I'll have to adjust.

More later.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2015 part II glaconman 0 1,255 02-06-2015, 03:48 PM
Last Post: glaconman
  Pictures of Bombay 2006 glaconman 20 8,361 18-03-2006, 07:38 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  Bombay 2006 - Race Report glaconman 8 4,468 22-02-2006, 02:09 PM
Last Post: glaconman
  Bombay 2006 - Vultures glaconman 12 4,859 06-01-2006, 03:00 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  Bombay 2006 part 3 glaconman 0 1,674 27-12-2005, 05:25 AM