Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marathon Virgin
01-12-2005, 04:49 PM,
Marathon Virgin
My maiden marathon – why on earth have I decided to run for 26.2 miles? Foolhardy, definitely, Stupid – undoubtedly but, I have watched the London Marathon on the telly for many years and each time I have said, “One day I want to do that” I was even saying that when I could barely run for a bus – well 23rd April 2006, baring accidents – touches wood hastily - is going to be the day. Running for the Roy Castle Lung Cancer Appeal is going to give me added impetus.

I’ve been running for about 4 years, before that I mostly kept fit by swimming longish distances, but the best thing about running is you can put on your trainers and just wander out of the back door and go a do a bit – perfect, it fits in with my busy lifestyle. I can even fit in a short session at lunchtimes from work, either a quick half hour around the block or if the weather is lousy a mind numbing half hour on the treadmill.

At 53, my pace is what you might call steady! Approx an hour for 10k, 10 miles in 1 .42, so this marathon is going to take some time.

Mr SW is doing it too, but he’s faster than me, well he does have longer legs and he is younger :o I hope he will slow down a bit, it would be great to finish it together.

Will be doing the Stockport 10 Miler on December 11, It has some quite sick making hills, but it will just make sure my base level is OK before I begin Hal Higdon’s beginner level training, I’ll sign up for the emails as you suggested Andy.

Watch this space…
03-12-2005, 12:22 PM,
Marathon Virgin
Very well done on deciding to run the London Marathon, SW. It's the experience of a lifetime.

In many ways, just making the commitment is one of the most exciting things that you can do. Such a wonderful moment, and now there it is, all lying in front of you. Such pure exhilaration as you start out into uncharted territory.

Every time you lace up your running shoes, it'll be there in your mind. And all those times when you think about not lacing them up, as well.

It's a long time, 18 weeks, but it'll fly by, and before you know it, you'll be at the start line in Greenwich.

I wish you all the very best as you set off on your fantastic endeavour, SW. We'll be there with you, every step of the way. Enjoy the journey.
03-12-2005, 10:30 PM,
Marathon Virgin
As usual Nigel is spot on, SW.
All Marathons are special, London more so than many; but your first marathon AND your first FLM is a life-altering experience.

Good luck, and keep us posted on how its going - knowing you really should post a report can be the difference between getting out the door and not quite making it.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

06-12-2005, 12:17 AM,
Marathon Virgin
How's it going, SW?
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
07-12-2005, 02:41 PM,
Marathon Virgin
kind wishes, I'm still waking in the middle of the night with a "Ohmigod whatt have I done" feeling, but I'll get used to the idea!

let me know your Justgiving url Sweder and I'll send you some dosh.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Brighton Marathon report stillwaddler 1 3,234 04-05-2011, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man