not made it into the FLM - again.
31-10-2005, 09:00 AM,
I'm sad enough to have checked my bank acccount for last Friday when the cheques were cashed for the ballot, and no I'm not in again, so Mr SW will be doing it on his own and I know its going to be rotten spectating but its what I've got to do, unless someone can come up with a very cheap charity place, work/family/life don't allow me much free time for fundraising and I don't work for a rich firm who would double my stake :-(

Never mind, I'll keep nursing the foot injury.
31-10-2005, 11:29 AM,
Come and join our club then. Last I heard was that there were club entires going begging.

(In case you were unaware, many running clubs can apply for club entires and receive an allocation. In our club folk who have applied through the lottery and failed get first refusal. After that they're up for grabs on a first come first served basis)

So, if you're not a club member, just now would be an excellent time to think about joining, particularly if they can offer you a club entry for the FLM.
31-10-2005, 12:10 PM,
Bad luck, SW.

Tim is right to say that most clubs get FLM places but (in my admittedly limited experience) clubs tend to have rules saying that the FLM places aren't open to members who haven't been in the club for x amount of time (usually a year). The rule is there to stop, well, to stop people like yourself joining the club just to get the FLM place. Your only chance here would be if you found a club who received places but didn't have enough members who wanted them. It's probably not that likely though, particularly as if they are the sort of club who don't have FLM-type members (e.g. a fell running club in the north of Scotland), then they'd be unlikely to apply for them in the first place.

So the prognosis isn't that good. AFAIK, there are some charities out there who ask for as little as £800 (cf the normal £1500), but this might still be too much in your situation. Did you bequeath your cheque? If so, you still have the chance of one of the extra 1000 places for bequeathers.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
31-10-2005, 01:46 PM,
andy Wrote:Bad luck, SW.

Tim is right to say that most clubs get FLM places but (in my admittedly limited experience) clubs tend to have rules saying that the FLM places aren't open to members who haven't been in the club for x amount of time (usually a year). The rule is there to stop, well, to stop people like yourself joining the club just to get the FLM place.

You're probably right Andy, that wasn't a factor for me. That said, if there are any unused entries, I'm sure any club would be happy to accept a new member and let them use it rather than have it go to waste.

I can see it might not make the best first impression when joining a club. "Hello, have you got any unwanted FLM entries? If so, I'd like to join..." Smile
31-10-2005, 03:03 PM,
Sorry to hear that, SW.
You could always go for Paris . . . apparently it's a little easier to get in, it's the weekend before London and it's not a bad place to spend a couple of days in the Spring . . .

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

31-10-2005, 04:04 PM,
Sweder Wrote:Sorry to hear that, SW.
You could always go for Paris . . . apparently it's a little easier to get in, it's the weekend before London and it's not a bad place to spend a couple of days in the Spring . . .

I would say forget spring marathons, period. The human body just wasn't meant to train over the dark and cold winter months and then possibly face warm spring weather. You don't get a chance to adapt to it.

I'm sticking with autumn one as then you've had a summer of running in warm weather and are much better heat adapted.
31-10-2005, 04:17 PM,
It's probably different hill running in Scotland, where the terrain is either too dark or slippery to go out as much in the winter, but I think for most of us southern, road and trail-pounding softies, winter running is far more comfortable than summer running. Not just more comfortable but aesthetically more enjoyable too. To run through the countryside on a crisp wintry morning is a wonderful experience, and the glow remains with you all day.
El Gordo

31-10-2005, 04:32 PM,
Copied off the Paris 2006 website just now.
There's actually 27099 registered now . . .

Registrations open.
Registration limited to 35000 runners.
Today, 27098 runners registered.
Remain, 7902 places.

31-10-2005, 04:35 PM,
andy Wrote:It's probably different hill running in Scotland, where the terrain is either too dark or slippery to go out as much in the winter, but I think for most of us southern, road and trail-pounding softies, winter running is far more comfortable than summer running. Not just more comfortable but aesthetically more enjoyable too. To run through the countryside on a crisp wintry morning is a wonderful experience, and the glow remains with you all day.

Well said, glorious leader.
Summer runnin's not for for me.
Ooh err, I felt a twinge of Grease just then -

Summer Runnin'
Must be a blast,
Summer Runnin'
Can't go too fast
I met a Girl
Crazy for me
But she ran away
Coz I was sweating like a hog . . .

err . . . or something.
I'll get me winter coat . . .

31-10-2005, 05:32 PM,
andy Wrote:It's probably different hill running in Scotland, where the terrain is either too dark or slippery to go out as much in the winter, but I think for most of us southern, road and trail-pounding softies, winter running is far more comfortable than summer running. Not just more comfortable but aesthetically more enjoyable too. To run through the countryside on a crisp wintry morning is a wonderful experience, and the glow remains with you all day.

The running's not the problem. I quite like running along country lanes in complete darkness. No, the problem is the lack of heat adaption. You don't really get heat stressed over the winter months (more the opposite!) and when you do come to run the London marathon and find that it's *much* warmer than anything you've run in so far, you're in trouble.

Well that's my excuse anyway......Big Grin
31-10-2005, 07:12 PM,
Sorry for you SW. Understand your predicament. I ran for Macmillan a lot and for this year's Great North Run they were only asking for a minimum £350 sponsorship commitment. Have a think about it eh?

I'll see you down there as I'll be running on the day (flu permitting).

Er Tim, don't want to gloat, but I'll be warm weather training myself, in Australia and New Zealand. It's specifically for London (not)! Would that adequately condition me for the heat of a late April day in London do you think?

OK, you can all hate me now. Gotta be true to the name now though and chase those dreams!

JP
01-11-2005, 06:45 AM,
Sweder Wrote:Copied off the Paris 2006 website just now.
There's actually 27099 registered now . . .

Registrations open.
Registration limited to 35000 runners.
Today, 27098 runners registered.
Remain, 7902 places.

Crikey, they are selling fast:

One day later....

"Today, 29543 runners registered.
Remain, 5457 places. "
El Gordo

01-11-2005, 12:53 PM,
I suspect there'll be a mad scramble when the 'whump' lands on a few doormats in the coming weeks. Glad to be at least in the process already . . . just got to forge my Docs' signature on this competance form . . .

03-11-2005, 01:05 PM,
Anyone up for trying Edinburgh (yes I know its in June) but chances are its probably going to be as cold as a spring day here.

This will be the first one for me.

Pete
03-11-2005, 01:27 PM,
Hi Pete. Edinbugh would be a great race for me.
I've committed to quite a few races already - one per month through to the end of April - but I'm sorely tempted. Next year's a little slower for me business-wise, so maybe I could squeeze one more in.

Edinburgh was my Dad's favorite world city, so it would be a kind of homage to him if I could do it. What's the scoop on places? Is it likely to sell out anytime soon?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  FLM numbers PLEASE!!! Sweder 26 9,501 27-04-2009, 10:14 AM
Last Post: marathondan
  FLM 2006 predictions? Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 6 2,394 06-02-2006, 10:31 AM
Last Post: Nigel
  FLM announce 'strongest line-up' Sweder 2 1,405 24-01-2006, 09:06 AM
Last Post: Seafront Plodder
  Withdrawing from FLM - flu virus. Over to you Sweder... JP the Dream Chaser 5 2,688 16-04-2005, 09:30 PM
Last Post: stillwaddler
  FLM - Energy & Hysteria Sweder 19 7,730 14-04-2005, 11:21 AM
Last Post: stillwaddler