FLM - Energy & Hysteria
06-04-2005, 10:00 AM,
FLM - Energy & Hysteria
Enjoyed Andy's piece on energy loss and FLM madness on Runners World. I confess to suffering from the former condition; the latter has happily passed me by.

This energy problem is perplexing. A week ago I was like a Raging Bull, eager to run at the drop of a hat. Since my last run on Sunday I've felt lethargic and worse, apathetic towards heading out the door. I've resorted to inviting SP out for a gentle seafront plod tonight, the discipline inherent in making a commitment to another runner seemingly essential to get my lardy arse off the sofa.

Could this be the body preparing for maximum effort? It's only 11 days until London and . . .

. . . Oh my Gawd! Eleven days!!! Aaargh! I'm not ready, I'll never make it! I haven't got a stitch to wear! My running vest hasn't arrived! I need a haircut! My legs are still far too white to appear on the BBC! Sally Gunnel will never stop me with these milkbottle pins . . .

Oh goodie. FLM hysteria has arrived; I'm happy now Big Grin

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

06-04-2005, 02:44 PM,
FLM - Energy & Hysteria
Hands up who reckons Sweder's going to run a blinder at FLM.

Pssst.. Ash.... Teabags work wonders for an instant tan, but be careful when sponging, your legs may run a bit (oh no...).
06-04-2005, 04:38 PM,
FLM - Energy & Hysteria
I'm also greatly enjoying the build-up to these spring marathons. It's a vicarious pleasure this time, to feel so drained at the end of a Sweder hillside lope, all guts and passion and burning Sussex flints underfoot, and a few days later to emerge just as exhausted from an account of more measured and intriguing self-analysis during those three early morning Berkshire loops.

And all this without even having to make the effort of turning a single marathon-training step this spring. As Bierzo Baggie said, it's going to be no ordinary April, and not just for him.
06-04-2005, 08:11 PM,
FLM - Energy & Hysteria
Hi there

My legs feel tired and achey, but strangely strong at the moment. Unlike you Sweder, due to my illness, I won't let anything stop me from getting out the door!

I do have a mild case of FLM madness though. Seem to have been thinking about it for 6 months. Don't know what I'll focus on afterwards?

Sounds to me like you're having one of those pre-exam things. You know, where you've revised that much, you're kind of sick of revising and just want the exam out of the way. Don't give up now though mate! Hold firm, dig deep, grit your teeth and think of other cliches to help you through. For what its worth, it sounds to me like you'll be fine. Listen to your friends, you WILL run a blinder!
07-04-2005, 11:05 AM,
FLM - Energy & Hysteria
Just thought I'd share the view from where I am right now. I've finished my London meeting today, and I'm standing at your finish line at this very moment. The sun is shining brightly on this cool morning here on The Mall.

The blossom is out in St James' Park and it's a marvellous day for running. Just 10 days and less than 2 hours, and a small matter of 26.2 miles until you'll be enjoying this same spot. It'll be worth the wait, and all that effort, believe me.
07-04-2005, 11:45 AM,
FLM - Energy & Hysteria
Read this, and believe !

http://www.runningcommentary.co.uk/forum....php?t=375
07-04-2005, 12:23 PM,
FLM - Energy & Hysteria
Inspirational stuff, Nigel.
And thanks for the bush info - might come in handy Smile

12-04-2005, 08:39 AM,
FLM - Energy & Hysteria
I missed these, can anyone supply the link???
12-04-2005, 10:35 AM,
FLM - Energy & Hysteria
Sorry SW - my mistake.
Andy's piece was a diary entry (5th April).
Must've been a little spacey when I wrote that . . .

How's the running going?

12-04-2005, 11:35 AM,
FLM - Energy & Hysteria
No, you're not going mad, Sweder (though you've every excuse to do so at the moment...)

I'd mentioned the hysteria on the RW forum, hence Sweder saying "Andy's piece on... FLM madness on Runners World". So it was the FLM madness that was on RW, not my piece that was on RW.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
12-04-2005, 11:46 AM,
FLM - Energy & Hysteria
Lucky you!!!!

Running - ah, well, I did the Wilmslow half, way back on March 20th, things were going really well, Me and Mr SW were on for a 2.10 finish (BTW that's good running for my age group :-)) when the wheels came off at 8.5 miles, I got stomach cramp - not stitch! Might have had something to do with me swallowing Immodium just before the start as a "Just in Case" measure (last year I was in extreme discomfort due to lack of loos/tree cover around the course). Had to walk for a bit, Mr SW was very gallant and stayed with me even though he was capable of a much faster time. Did manage to get going again eventually, but the damage had been done, got back in 2.26 by my Garmin, which interestingly also showed a distance of 13.5 miles - must have been wiggling about a bit ?- very slow time, but was determined to finish.

Since then I have gone for shorter runs but have attempted to up the pace a bit. When I train for longer distances I heed all the advice about running slowly until I only seem able to run slowly :-)

However, went blood donning last Thursday and have been extrememly out of puff since plus have some knee pain which creeps round to my calf muscle obviously iron is no longer reaching essential parts/joiints- must drink more Guinness?

All in all I have to be glad I didn't get an FLM place this year, Mr SW has deferred until next in case I get in then - maybe I should start training now????

Good luck for Sunday I shall be watching on the telly - what vest numbers do the RC crew have??
12-04-2005, 12:09 PM,
FLM - Energy & Hysteria
stillwaddler Wrote:must drink more Guinness?

Ah, Waddling One, wise words indeed!
40038 for the Mighty Sweder. Screaming Blue shirts (mine has 'SWEDER' printed across the front) and 'Team 2005' on the back.

2:26 doesn't sound so bad, especially with trouble at 8.5 miles.
Your hubby sounds like a top chap.

12-04-2005, 01:22 PM,
FLM - Energy & Hysteria
on the telly and watch out for you - will it be too early to be supping a Guiness? Nah, special occassion after all!!!

P.S. Other half of 28 years standing is truly a top bloke - such a shame he is so much fitter than me ;-)
12-04-2005, 04:04 PM,
FLM - Energy & Hysteria
Er...I know I haven't been here long (on this forum that is, not on this planet. Well in geological terms I have been here but an instant, but...I digress), but I'd just like to say I'm running and my number is 8921. Macmillan green vest along with 600 others with JP on the front. I'm a tanned version of my picture on http://www.justgiving.com/jpfuerte due to my residing in foreign climes these last 5 months.

Spare me a little of your support, but I realise Sweder is more deserving, what with him being a stalwart here. Good luck Sweder by the way. I still have that darn tight throat, but it doesn't seem to stop me from running. Unless it gets worse, I'm going for it!

Go Sweder. Bet you're thinking of nothing else now eh?
12-04-2005, 05:15 PM,
FLM - Energy & Hysteria
Hey JP - good luck to you too, Tanned One.
Thinking about what? My lot got hammered at Norwich this weekend, I'm still apoplectic about that (a nice shade of Fergie Puce).

Yeah, pretty excited now. I can feel all sorts of maladies creeping up on me. Loads of people at work have colds and sore throats. I'm like Robert DeNiro as the anarchic plumber in Brazil, ducking and diving around the building to avoid the germs.

I'm pretty sure you'll finish a few thousand ahead of me, but I'll keep 'em peeled for the Macmillan hoards just in case.

12-04-2005, 09:02 PM,
FLM - Energy & Hysteria
Hey, did someone mention geology ?! Now you're talking.....
http://www.runningcommentary.co.uk/forum....php?t=367

Didn't mean to leave you out, JPFV. That's a very fine cause you're running for, too, which will always be close to my heart.

Best wishes to you, and to your Mum. She must be very proud of you, and no doubt will be even more so by the time Sunday afternoon arrives....

Go, Macmillan runners !
http://www.justgiving.com/jpfuerte
13-04-2005, 10:11 AM,
FLM - Energy & Hysteria
Right then JP "I've got your number"...v.good cause too, delighted to hear that your Mum will be there to welcome you home. You have my sofa based support.

(Sweder - we must worship at the same Theatre of Dreams - I had a bad feeling before the Norwich game...it was made worse afterwards as my brother lives in Norwich and was postitively crowing about it)
13-04-2005, 12:01 PM,
FLM - Energy & Hysteria
Thanks Nigel and SW. Your support is much appreciated.
JP
14-04-2005, 09:12 AM,
FLM - Energy & Hysteria
for we true followers of the faith, SW.
We get stick for being bandwaggon fans, even though we've followed the reds through the dark days of the seventies and eighties. Everyone hates us, we don't care! Still, lets hope we can end the season on a high.
I don't mean the FA Cup, I mean giving Chelski a bloody nose on the last day of the season.

14-04-2005, 11:21 AM,
FLM - Energy & Hysteria
"giving Chelski a bloody nose on the last day of the season"

wouldn't that be sweet :-)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  FLM numbers PLEASE!!! Sweder 26 9,507 27-04-2009, 10:14 AM
Last Post: marathondan
  FLM 2006 predictions? Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 6 2,397 06-02-2006, 10:31 AM
Last Post: Nigel
  FLM announce 'strongest line-up' Sweder 2 1,405 24-01-2006, 09:06 AM
Last Post: Seafront Plodder
  not made it into the FLM - again. stillwaddler 14 5,189 03-11-2005, 01:27 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  Withdrawing from FLM - flu virus. Over to you Sweder... JP the Dream Chaser 5 2,690 16-04-2005, 09:30 PM
Last Post: stillwaddler
  Knee, Jogging & Walk zainiaa 13 4,254 09-02-2005, 02:37 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  Inspiration & Weight Loss Unregistered 13 3,459 27-10-2003, 08:44 PM
Last Post: El Gordo