Withdrawing from FLM - flu virus. Over to you Sweder...
16-04-2005, 09:34 AM,
Totally devastated. Flu virus getting stronger and stronger. Feel terrible. Withdrawing with 24hrs to go... Bitter disappointment and feel awful about my sponsors.

Please do well Sweder. You have my hopes now!

Cheers

JP
16-04-2005, 09:48 AM,
I'm gutted for you JP. You can't run with the 'flu, you'll do serious damage so it's the only decision you could make. Don't worry about the sponsors - tell 'em to look out for 40083 (Blue shirt, manky blue surf shorts, silver hair, sunroof) and I'll run it for you. Don't worry mate, you'll be back.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

16-04-2005, 10:09 AM,
Ta Sweder. Very envious of you now mate. Plan to recover and do another marathon in the next few months to ease the terrible responsibility I feel towards my sponsors, friends, family (and of course my Mum who I so wanted to see me do this). So many people have asked me for my running number so they can look out for me. Now I just feel like a total a*se. I'll do London next year given a bit more luck too... Can't keep a pathetic excuse of a man down eh!
16-04-2005, 11:06 AM,
JP

Horrible news, I'm desperately sorry for you. You need to get the grief out of your system soon, and just crack on with the new plan as soon as you're fit again.

I read your message just before my run, and have been making all sorts of plans on your behalf while running - but it looks like you've already done that. As I'm sure you know, as long as your letter has today's postmark on it you can defer till next year.

Second, yes, definitely think about doing another marathon instead. Why wait a few months though? You're all trained up and raring to go. Why not see if there's something in Europe you can do in the next 2 or 3 weeks, while you're still in peak condition? Check out http://www.marathonguide.com. There are hundreds of races listed.

"Feeling an arse" might actually be quite a good palliative, depending on who's arse it is.

Bad luck though, mate.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
16-04-2005, 11:18 AM,
Thanks for that Andy. Don't see me recovering quickly from this to run a marathon as soon as next 2-3 weeks. Its been in my system for a month already and I am thinking I'll need a mini schedule to build me up to the right fitness level again. Perhaps 5-6 weeks where I remind my body where it had reached. For all I know, I may not run for 2 weeks, so a marathon in 3 would be impossible. You know where I'm coming from I'm sure.

Appreciate your thoughts though. Nice to feel I'm not alone in enjoying the thought of feeling arses. Unfortunately, I'm not quick enough to catch anyone for a feel at the moment!
16-04-2005, 09:30 PM,
I'm gutted for you - I have just logged in, to go and sponsor you and Sweder. Never mind, there is always next year, and if I manage to get a place I'll see you then...any objections if I add the sponsorship to Sweder's? I'll sponsor you next year when Mr SW will be running anyway.

Chin up.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  FLM numbers PLEASE!!! Sweder 26 9,493 27-04-2009, 10:14 AM
Last Post: marathondan
  FLM 2006 predictions? Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 6 2,387 06-02-2006, 10:31 AM
Last Post: Nigel
  FLM announce 'strongest line-up' Sweder 2 1,401 24-01-2006, 09:06 AM
Last Post: Seafront Plodder
  not made it into the FLM - again. stillwaddler 14 5,180 03-11-2005, 01:27 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  Good luck, Sweder ! Nigel 18 7,906 17-05-2005, 11:50 AM
Last Post: El Gordo
  Come on...I want to know how Sweder got on? JP the Dream Chaser 1 1,219 18-04-2005, 06:56 PM
  FLM - Energy & Hysteria Sweder 19 7,724 14-04-2005, 11:21 AM
Last Post: stillwaddler
  Drum roll for Sweder El Gordo 0 1,129 12-12-2004, 01:04 PM