Good luck, Sweder !
14-04-2005, 02:43 PM,
Good luck, Sweder !
Well, this is it, my friend.

I'm away from my desk tomorrow - 27 holes, no less, with a bunch of old fogey octagenarians from my alma mater. It'll make me feel young again, that much is certain, and however poor my game.

But I digress. The big event of the year is just about to begin. I'm very envious of the thought, and I'll probably have to place myself well away from the TV on Sunday. Last Wednesday morning at the finish line on The Mall was homage enough for one year.

You're in great shape. Your training went off with a bang, maybe too much of one. It kick-started your form, and then forced you to rein it back in a bit. Which, almost certainly, was no bad thing. Now it seems like you're flying. Which is just how it should be.

Maybe there's something we can all learn there, from the relatively restrained mid-week training plan, and the totally committed, horrendously punishing long run, consumed raw, and up hill and down dale. I'll try to remember that formula.

We've all enjoyed your journey, and your running is in the perfect place now, as the day spreads out ahead of you. All you need to do now is run.

I'll be thinking about that long second climb up La Rambla de Almería this Sunday. 'The Snake is my friend'. And 'Marathon running, it's all about control'. With those two mantras in mind, you just can't go wrong.

Go for it, and have a great day !

Nigel
14-04-2005, 04:42 PM,
Good luck, Sweder !
Best of luck, Sweder, JPFuerteventura and all of you who can take part at London marathon. I wish I could be there but I wasn´t lucky at the ballot. Anyway, I´ve had some discomfort in my right foot which would have made it difficult for me to finish the marathon. Enjoy as much as possible, take it easy and don´t get too obsessed with the time you finish!

Have a wonderful day! I´ll be looking forward to reading your reports!

Greetings from Almería Saludos desde Almería

Antonio

14-04-2005, 09:18 PM,
Good luck, Sweder !
I think we'd all endorse those sentiments. I've had a much-appreciated invitation to the JDRF pasta party on Saturday where I can pass on my good wishes in person, but I'd like to put on record here that just reading Sweder's diary entries has been an astonishingly energetic marathon in itself. I'm sure everyone's enjoyed them as much as I have, and found plenty of wisdom in there too.

With a couple of days left the most important thing now is mental preparation.

Run well old chap. No doubt we'll hear all about it soon enough.

Andy
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
14-04-2005, 10:36 PM,
Good luck, Sweder !
Thank you to everyone for your warm best wishes.
Along with JPFV and the JDRF Threaders I'll be representing RC.net, a daunting prospect in itself. I'm amazed at the strength of cameraderie that's built up through this forum; I just wish you would all be with us on Sunday.

But then, of course, you will be Smile

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

14-04-2005, 10:39 PM,
Good luck, Sweder !
Sweder Wrote:I just wish you would all be with us on Sunday.

Bugger off....
El Gordo

15-04-2005, 07:02 AM,
Good luck, Sweder !
andy Wrote:Bugger off....

Andy's back-from-the-pub entry No#14. Big Grin
15-04-2005, 07:08 AM,
Good luck, Sweder !
Sadly, no alcohol at all this week, SP - though I've decided it would be disrespectful not to accept a little... something at the FLM pasta party tomorrow night. It may not be wise for me, but it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make in the interests of the charity.
El Gordo

15-04-2005, 07:59 AM,
Good luck, Sweder !
I recall in the depths of last winter Sweder invited me to the JDRF pasta party. Then again I s'pose that was when I intended to run this Sunday.

Envious as hell now, but also safe in the knowledge that I've not done sufficient training to compete to the best of my (limited) ability.

Sweder I'm sure we will talk before Sunday, but to all the other JDRF runners and those members here who are running......

I'll be watching and thinking of you on Sunday. The weather forecast is looking good. Above all enjoy the day. And remember the adage...

Pain is Temporary. The Achievement, is Forever!
15-04-2005, 08:01 AM,
Good luck, Sweder !
I'll make sure you don't over indulge, Andy.
I took the precaution of ordering Beaujolais Nouveaux and Blue Nunn as the wines for the evening . . .

I may stop off for a Guinness or two afterwards.

15-04-2005, 10:42 AM,
Good luck, Sweder !
Are you staying in London on the Sat night?
El Gordo

15-04-2005, 11:03 AM,
Good luck, Sweder !
Aye, but no idea where yet!
I'll book in later on today. Probably the Marriott or somewhere like that in the West End (so I can pick up my togs after the run).

15-04-2005, 01:56 PM,
Good luck, Sweder !
My work colleague just did a 'google' for sweder.
On the worldwide search I got third and fourth spot, both on 'Running Commentary'. We then checked MSN (top three listings) and BBC search engine (top three results). Hey-hey! Fame at last . . .

16-05-2005, 08:07 PM,
Good luck, Sweder !
Sweder Wrote:My work colleague just did a 'google' for sweder.
On the worldwide search I got third and fourth spot, both on 'Running Commentary'. We then checked MSN (top three listings) and BBC search engine (top three results). Hey-hey! Fame at last . . .

well. a http://www.google.com of "seafront plodder" has me top!!!
16-05-2005, 09:53 PM,
Good luck, Sweder !
Fascinating idea.

I've just googled "Andy", and find that there are 47,300,000 references on the web. I'm still scrolling through them, but after 80,000 pages I can report that I still haven't quite got to me yet.

Only another 4 and a half million pages to work through......
El Gordo

16-05-2005, 11:01 PM,
Good luck, Sweder !
All together now:

One Seafront Plodder . . . there's only one Seafront Plodder . . .

17-05-2005, 04:56 AM,
Good luck, Sweder !
andy Wrote:Fascinating idea.

I've just googled "Andy", and find that there are 47,300,000 references on the web. I'm still scrolling through them, but after 80,000 pages I can report that I still haven't quite got to me yet.

Only another 4 and a half million pages to work through......

That's cos 1/2 of 'em are me...Big Grin
17-05-2005, 09:25 AM,
Good luck, Sweder !
Hey, google and MSN put me top of the rankings for my efforts on THIS very forum! Good eh?
17-05-2005, 11:31 AM,
Good luck, Sweder !
'Nigel running' comes up 6 and 7 on Google, but 'Nigel marathon' is only 37, and that's a Sweder page (sigh).

For some lighter reading, you could always try http://www.scholar.google.com and type "nh platt" using the inverted commas.... that should keep you busy for a while !
17-05-2005, 11:50 AM,
Good luck, Sweder !
"Seasonal wetland carbonate sequences and dynamic catenas: a re-appraisal of palustrine limestones" sounds like a good one.

Google Scholar seems to have passed me by, I'm sorry to say. If you haven't come across Google Maps yet, do give it a try. Very nice 3D-ish graphics at the lower level. http://maps.google.co.uk/
El Gordo

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Garmin Forerunner 205 free to a good home The Beast of Bevendean 7 4,885 03-06-2014, 10:22 PM
Last Post: marathondan
  luck on the day johnnyb 14 6,825 09-06-2009, 12:06 PM
Last Post: stillwaddler
  Good luck to all FLMers Sweder 42 20,225 27-04-2006, 07:15 AM
Last Post: marathondan
  good luck in Zurich sandiegoandy 36 15,728 11-04-2006, 06:19 AM
Last Post: glaconman
  Best of luck in Hamburg, Andy Antonio247 10 4,715 20-04-2005, 12:56 PM
Last Post: JP the Dream Chaser
  Come on...I want to know how Sweder got on? JP the Dream Chaser 1 1,211 18-04-2005, 06:56 PM
Last Post: El Gordo
  Withdrawing from FLM - flu virus. Over to you Sweder... JP the Dream Chaser 5 2,671 16-04-2005, 09:30 PM
Last Post: stillwaddler
  Drum roll for Sweder El Gordo 0 1,127 12-12-2004, 01:04 PM
  A good read Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 1 1,545 17-07-2004, 09:56 AM
  Good Luck, Andy fjsnakeskin 5 2,457 06-03-2004, 12:27 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man