Liverpool Half - 2003
13-10-2003, 10:32 PM,
Liverpool Half - 2003
The last post I made to this forum (in mid-August) had an air of triumphalism about it. I'd had a good run on the moors and I felt like King Of The Hill.

I did the same run a week later and it floored me. My vision became blurred early on, and pride amongst the gathering number of ramblers stopped me from walking back to the car. I ended up slumped in the passenger seat severely dehydrated. Rarely have I felt so ill.

In truth my preparation for this (my first) race has been reasonably good. But I've found it impossible to keep to an organised schedule. Life just gets in the way, and you end up just doing the best you can.

During one bank holiday weekend I had a wedding in Sussex followed by a reunion the following night. The collective damage from these activities took a full 10 days out of my training. But what can you do faced with a marquee full of strangers, a rotating pig and lashings of free booze?

I've benefited from having several mates who are more experienced runners than myself. When they've wanted a relaxed run, I've tagged along; and this has definitely helped to motivate and develop me.

The race day itself was a blur to begin with. I had to be up at 6:30 and, for one reason or another, only managed about 3 hours proper sleep. We parked-up in Albert Dock with about half-an-hour to go and I made last minute adjustments to my weight.

I'd decided to be sceptical about organised races before actually taking part in one. The thought of exercising with several thousand physically and mentally positive and attuned people on a Sunday morning would have abhorred me 10 years ago. But I could only feel good about it.

I was also told that I would suffer untold humiliation on race-day as people who were far older, fatter, hairier and smellier than me would gallop past me in the last few miles. And whilst it did come to pass, and was slightly shocking at first, it was encouraging to know that I might be able to do the same thing in twenty years time.

I can't claim that it was an extraordinary experience running around the streets of Liverpool, but it was a well organised event and it took in some pleasant leafy areas of the city. It's also a fast course for the PBists amongst you.

Turning into Sefton Park for the last half mile or so saw a build-up in the crowds and some really genuine, warm and well-needed encouragement from the locals.

I'd been pretty cool and nonchalant about the whole thing up until now, but as I crossed the line waving to the missus, in what can only be described as a semi-delerious state, I suddenly wanted to cry.

I didn't, of course. That would have been quite the wrong thing to do. But it was an acknowledgement of the personal and collective effort on display at these events. And had it been a full marathon, I may well have had no choice.

PS. There were men in shell-suits running the event; and I only saw the first few mile markers.
14-10-2003, 10:35 PM,
Liverpool Half - 2003
Quote:Originally posted by glaconman

I did the same run a week later and it floored me. My vision became blurred early on, and pride amongst the gathering number of ramblers stopped me from walking back to the car. I ended up slumped in the passenger seat severely dehydrated. Rarely have I felt so ill.

Ooo-er, that sounds bad. Did you find out what it was? Sounds like it could be dehydration all right. Had you had a few beers the night before?

You make some good points. Running is incredibly unpredictable and inconsistent. After a while it becomes part of the appeal, but it's frustrating.

Quote:Originally posted by glaconman

I'd been pretty cool and nonchalant about the whole thing up until now, but as I crossed the line waving to the missus, in what can only be described as a semi-delerious state, I suddenly wanted to cry.

I didn't, of course. That would have been quite the wrong thing to do. But it was an acknowledgement of the personal and collective effort on display at these events. And had it been a full marathon, I may well have had no choice.

We've all been there, old chap. At both the marathons I've completed I've blubbed my eyes out at the end. Since the Chicago marathon, just hearing "Born To Run" can produce tears.

But anyway, well done on getting round, that's good news. Keep us informed of your new challenges (there's still time to enter the London marathon.....)

Cheers, Andy
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
16-10-2003, 01:51 PM,
Liverpool Half - 2003
No beers the night before Andy, just didn't make any effort to drink or eat properly; and I only had a cup of tea before setting off. I was carrying water, but it's a long climb up there to begin with, so it wasn't enough.

I've since learnt to be more careful for long, early morning runs. I never worried too much when cycling because you tend to pass through villages at least. But you need to take everything with you when hill running.

You always were a great blubberer Andy. And I've always admired you tremendously for it. Watched 'Field Of Dreams' lately?

I'll definitely be keeping the running going, so I'll let you know how it goes from time-to-time.

Are you doing the London Marathon this year?
16-10-2003, 03:50 PM,
Liverpool Half - 2003
Ooooh, you cheeky monkey. Actually, Field of Dreams has long been overtaken by The Shawshank Redemption in the pantheon of good blubber-material. I have a DVD of it, selected scenes of which I watch if I'm in danger of getting too cheerful.

I probably won't do the FLM in 2004. I've got a form which I've not yet returned (closing date is a week or two). The chances of getting in on the ballot are around 5-to-1 against, so that's far from being a guarantee in any case. The best chance of entry is a charity 'golden bond' place but it commits you to raising, typically, £1500 or so, which is a bit of a hassle to be honest, especially if you've done that before, as I did for Chicago.

I'd still like to aim for a spring marathon though. It's a question of whether I do something conservative like Stratford, or head overseas to Milan or Paris or Rotterdam. The latter would be preferred.

Do keep in touch, old fellow.

Andy
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Almería Half Marathon, 28 Jan 2007 El Gordo 139 114,847 01-04-2013, 10:31 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  Silverstone half-marathon jvlepkowicz 8 3,559 28-04-2006, 09:54 AM
Last Post: El Gordo
  Almería half marathon. 29th January 2006 El Gordo 113 84,730 09-03-2006, 11:10 AM
Last Post: Sweder
  City of Norwich Half Marahon sampedro 3 1,808 20-01-2006, 07:53 AM
Last Post: sampedro
  Reading Half date change: bad news for some El Gordo 3 1,990 27-10-2005, 11:25 PM
  Bath Half Marathon - 20th March 2005 Nigel 0 1,101 12-03-2005, 10:49 AM
Last Post: Nigel
  Does a Fleet Half Make you go faster? Plodder 1 1,230 12-03-2005, 08:45 AM
  Reading Half Marathon - March 6th 2005 El Gordo 40 19,569 07-03-2005, 11:05 AM
Last Post: Antonio247
  Silverstone Half - March 13 2005 El Gordo 0 937 28-02-2005, 09:05 PM
  Our RC Half Marathon in Spain suzieq 6 2,500 03-02-2005, 07:24 PM
Last Post: Nigel