On-road / Off-road advice
07-08-2003, 10:30 AM,
Hello Andy and all other runningCommentary members;

I've just entered my first event: the Liverpool Half on October 12th.

I'm hoping this will transform me from an occassional runner into a regular one for the next few months.

Living in a fairly rural area north of Leeds I'm planning to do most of my running on the big wooded hill next to my house or on nearby moorland.

This type of running appeals to me more, plus should be easier on my joints.

Common sense tells me that I might have to incorporate some road miles into my plan so that the race itself doesn't come as a shock to my joints.

Does anybody have any more solid advice or experience?

cheers,

Luke.
07-08-2003, 11:57 PM,
Welcome, Glaconman, Great news about entering the Liverpool Half. Getting to the finish line takes courage and determination, but believe me, for a new runner, getting to the start line is an even greater achievement. Congratulations.

I wouldn't worry too much about impact injuries and stress on your joints. It's a self-evident truth that joints will suffer more from hard surfaces than from soft, but unless you begin running with weak or vulnerable joints, I'd say you'd have to be pounding the pavements for many years before your joints start to complain seriously.

If you are worried, bear in mind that there's quite a difference between concrete and tarmac. So, when circumstances allow it's better to run in the road than on pavement.

A bigger worry, as I've discovered this year, is that a poor warm-up AND/OR insufficient stretching AND/OR inadequate footwear AND/OR a too-rapid increase in weekly mileage, is FAR more likely to cause injury than hardness of the surface. I recently pulled a calf muscle that kept me out for a month, and that was done on a soft, cindery canal towpath. That said, I agree that in general, it's much nicer to run on woodland trails than roads.

If you're preparing to run a half marathon you should have some kind of a schedule. http://www.halhigdon.com has a Half schedule, and you'll find others if you do a web search. I think mileage is more important than the running surface.

If you prefer running on softer surfaces, then go ahead and do so, but it might be worth ensuring that you do at least a 10 miler on the road before the big day. Does anyone else have anything more useful to add?

Good luck with the race mate, and be sure to report back on your training and/or the event itself.

Andy
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
08-08-2003, 10:02 PM,
Hi - I've been lurking for a while, and following the training logs , but this is my first post.

I wouldn't really disagree with anything you've said there andy, but I would also add that if you're carrying a fair bit of excess weight as many new runners are, then impact injuries are more likely to be a danger, so if 'glaconman' is overweight, he might be doing the right thing to stay off the roads.

A better reason to run on roads is if you're training for a particular event that takes place on the road, then you really should be running on a similar surface. If you do all your training on soft surfaces then do the race on a hard surface, you could be inviting a stress fracture.

Trouble is that it can be much more pleasant to run on soft surfaces cos you tend to find them in more appealing places like river paths, canal towpaths, woods, open countryside, fells etc. So I'd say don't exclude these more pleasant runs but make sure you are preparing your body for the race, and this would mean doing at least some road running. Which is pretty much what you said yourself, glaconman!

Good luck and well done on taking the plunge.
17-08-2003, 12:28 PM,
Cheers for the advice. I think doing one road run a week is probably the best approach.

Training is going OK. First couple of weeks I managed 3 runs / week; but last week I only managed 2. So my ability to get out 4 times a week, which is recommended, is proving a problem.

Having said that, when I do go out I'm running hard and am enjoying it. Yesterday I was persauded to run a circuit incorporating Simon's Seat nr Bolton Abbey. I know you're familiar with this part of the world Andy.

I did struggle on the way up, particularly with my back. But running along the tops was fantastic. I realised that I was living the dream that had entered my head a few months ago whilst contemplating taking up running. And an image that probably features on many an advert for outdoor gear. Galloping along the tops on springy peat; the scent of heather in full bloom; panaramic views and not a sole in sight.

Felt very good.

This morning I feel as though I've been run over by a bus.
17-08-2003, 12:33 PM,
no fish jokes
13-10-2003, 09:44 PM,
How was Liverpool, Glaconman....? Hope it went well.

A brief report would be appreciated....

Andy
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advice needed! Bierzo Baggie 6 2,543 17-06-2009, 10:42 PM
Last Post: Bierzo Baggie
  advice needed johnnyb 8 3,148 30-11-2007, 12:21 AM
Last Post: Sweder
  Injury Advice Please Sheambax 7 2,522 24-01-2006, 11:57 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  Urgent Advice Sought Plodder 4 1,722 25-02-2005, 07:56 PM
Last Post: Plodder