Calf injury
21-07-2003, 09:17 AM,
Calf injury
Andy

have you tried The Stick (http://www.intracell.net I think) which is a 'self massage tool' ....ahem for working on sore/injured/tight muscles. It alleges speeds recovery also.

I bought one for Deborah (my partner) as she suffers from back problems but have been using it also. She reckons its been good for her back. Can't say its had any effect on achilles problem, though I am planning to start running again next week.

This injury though has blown my Nottingham marathon out of the water. I'm going to do the half, and perhaps go for Abingdon in October. Rather imprudently (unlike you) I've already paid for Notts and don't want to see £25 dissappear down the plughole.

I'm also getting my bike fixed as I've noticed that I've put on the odd bit of weight, so that I've got some exercise even when not running.
Cheers
Parky
28-07-2003, 10:41 PM,
Calf injury
Thanks for the tip, Parky. I had a look at the website and it does look interesting, though bitter experience has taught me that miracle cures for anything are pretty thin on the ground. (One good candidate would be a proper Bloody Mary as a way of dealing with a hangover.)

The injury hasn't gone on long enough, or defeated enough physios, to tempt me to try it out, but I'll bear it in mind for the future, so thanks. In the end, I decided that just good old rest would do the job best. It's just about stopped troubling me now, and am planning to try a run tomorrow morning as long as I wake up in time. Will report back on that.

Do mention Pilates to Deborah. I did a few weeks of it recently and found it really beneficial. A lot of people do it for back problems, and swear by it. Good for running too - really stretches you - so you might want to join her...

Sorry to hear about Nottingham, and hope the recovery works well enough to make it to Abingdon. Do let us know.

Cheers

Andy
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
29-07-2003, 09:43 PM,
Calf injury
Didn't quite manage my re-inaugural run this morning after all. Just too tired. I've been waking up at 5am every morning for the past few months. No idea why. I quite like it, actually, but only if I get to bed before 11. Which didn't happen last night.

Aim to try tomorrow.
El Gordo

30-07-2003, 10:22 AM,
Calf injury
Just a quick update -

went for a run at lunch yesterday
achilles still stuffed
bah!
Cheers
Parky
30-07-2003, 12:02 PM,
Calf injury
Bad luck with the Achilles.

I didn't manage to get out this morning, so I'm still not sure. Might try this evening.
El Gordo

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Injury Advice Please Sheambax 7 2,529 24-01-2006, 11:57 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  Andy's Calf Liz 8 2,761 14-07-2003, 09:54 AM
Last Post: El Gordo