Andy's Calf
06-07-2003, 04:10 PM,
Andy's Calf
Terrible news about the calf Sad

Did the RICE or WINE or BEER help any?
06-07-2003, 09:36 PM,
Andy's Calf
I was desperate enough to try a combination of both the WINE and the BEER treatment, Liz. I can report some success in the way they made me feel up top, as it were, though I'm afraid the calf is still sore today.

Seriously, this is pretty bad news. I really felt it go, as if something was popping or tearing. I can't be sure exactly what I've done, but it could be serious enough to keep me off the road for weeks. I had a problem with my other calf a couple of months ago, you might remember. That one took about a month to get better, though I was silly enough not to seek professional help. This time I definitely will, and will keep you posted.

Thanks for your sympathy. It really does help a little bit.

Regards,

Andy
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
08-07-2003, 09:29 PM,
Andy's Calf
Okay, you've had 2 days now - did you get to see a quack yet?

I imagine that any benefits the BEER or WINE solution imparted have long since left, leaving just a general pissedoffedness in its place.

Personally I'm never so keen on running as when I physically can't do it. Odd how that feeling disappears when I become fit again.
08-07-2003, 10:54 PM,
Andy's Calf
I saw my GP on Monday and have a referral to a sports injury clinic tomorrow (Wednesday). I had to go through that procedure to be able to claim the cost back from the insurance I get from my employer.

The calf is still sore when I walk, and there's no chance of running at the moment. I suspect that it's not that serious an injury (no swelling or other visible sign) but will probably keep me out of action for at least a couple of weeks, perhaps more. I hope to find out more tomorrow.
El Gordo

09-07-2003, 08:38 AM,
Andy's Calf
Hope its good news about the calf Andy. Thought I'd register and post the odd comment or two here as I've had much enjoyment reading your blog over the last couple of months.

With the calf problem though, do you think it may have gone because your shoes are too old and not providing enough cushioning anymore? I only ask this as I've got a touch of achilles soreness at the mo (and also pushing back my marathon training plans (for nottingham)) and was thinking it may be my shoes (about 6 months old), or has your running style changed since you started running resulting in the need for a different type of shoe?

Just wondering like....
Cheers
Parky
09-07-2003, 08:54 AM,
Andy's Calf
Welcome Parky. I've been a fan of your TV interviews for many years.

Thanks for taking an interest. A few people have asked about my shoes, so I guess that must be a common cause of this problem. But no, I was wearing the New Balance 854s that I bought in January. They're nicely worn in now, but they've only got about 95 miles on them so I don't think they're to blame.

BUT... BUT... you've set me thinking. Last week I wore an old pair of shoes - some old Asics that I've had for ages. And it was after that run that I first felt a twinge in my left calf. I had another couple of runs after that when I still felt a bit of an ache, and then the fatal run on Saturday. So I wonder if the damage was actually done in the Asics run, and only finally went fully when I did a much longer run?

Hmm, that's a reasonable possibility.

So thanks Parky, I think you might have made the right connection there. It doesn't give me a solution to the problem, but I hope will help me avoid it in the future.

Cheers!

Andy

PS Just out of interest, where are you on the running spectrum?
El Gordo

09-07-2003, 11:38 AM,
Andy's Calf
Hmmm

on the running spectrum .... er not the really really quick but okayish club runner side of the scale, I think. I've only been running properly for about 3 and a half years but with a bit of luck I'll be doing my fifth marathon in Sept.

Shoes may be the cause, but I was wondering in my own case if my normal work shoes being quite worn may have also contributed to the achilles problem. As you've started commuting to London recently is this an issue, (not sure if its an issue at all), or have you been standing on trains, or the cattle trucks that rattle around underground alot?

Don't know if this would have any bearing on your calf problems just a thought.

BTW Beer (well real ale I suppos) is good for muscle healing as it contains Zinc. So your beer therapy has its value!!!
Cheers
Parky
14-07-2003, 08:38 AM,
Andy's Calf
Has the leg dropped off Andy? Or is no news good news!

My Dublin training has suffered only cos it's too damn hot to run.
14-07-2003, 09:54 AM,
Andy's Calf
Hi SP

The leg is still attached to my generous torso.

It feels a lot better though I've not taken it out for a run yet, and may not for a few days. Will see how I feel tomorrow.

The heat is... very hot, what? Best solution is to get up absurdly early and run then. Running at 6am feels great.

Am still aiming for Dublin, but mustn't forget my other race commitments. Will be posting an update later.

Cheers

Andy
El Gordo

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Blame this on Andy!! Iceman 3 1,917 18-11-2005, 11:34 PM
Last Post: El Gordo
  Hello Andy! stillwaddler 1 1,315 27-09-2005, 01:58 PM
  Andy fiddling with his jobbie... Seafront Plodder 3 2,096 16-07-2005, 11:25 PM
Last Post: Tim
  See what you're missing Andy? Tim 1 1,536 30-05-2005, 04:09 PM
  Best of luck in Hamburg, Andy Antonio247 10 4,755 20-04-2005, 12:56 PM
Last Post: JP the Dream Chaser
  Andy's Shoe Issue Sweder 2 1,602 14-04-2005, 12:29 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  hiya andy! pam 1 1,505 16-07-2004, 03:22 PM
  You will do it Andy stillwaddler 17 7,344 14-05-2004, 11:28 AM
Last Post: stillwaddler
  Hi Andy! pam 0 1,218 09-04-2004, 08:34 PM