Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting back to normal (ish)
07-08-2008, 01:54 PM,
The good news is, the wrist is officially healed albeit with a titanium plate and umpteen screws in it, the bad news is it is so stiff to be almost useless plus the scar has healed and stuck itself down to the tendons in my wrist – hey hoe, lots more physio in the offing, currently twice a week, and I’ve been doing all my exercises in between. No chance of playing my cello which I really miss :-( but on a brighter note, I have managed about 6 outings on the treddy at the gym although I am still too scared to run outside just yet. Running has been of the slow jog variety, but I did a little fartlek on Tuesday ( I do love the word fartlek) cranking the treddy up to a respectable running speed and then varying it with the same distance in walking, jogging etc. It certainly helped to raise my game a little.

Sorry I haven’t made much contribution here just lately, have been a bit fed up.
Phew this is hard work !
07-08-2008, 08:52 PM,
Hardly a shock that you're fed up SW - what a palava. Or, as the boys on Master Chef might say, what a pavlova. Good to hear you're back on the tready though. No running for me - the knee doc has ruled out major surgery but no impact sports (that includes running) for a bit longer.

I find when things I can't control are getting me down a good rant often helps - at least to make me feel better. Now that he has told them that he won't be going there after all we'll have to find something else to complain about eh? Ooh I know, what about BBC pro-Liverpool bias? An inexhaustable source of complaint there . . . Big Grin

As God said to Moses . . . keep taking the tablets.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

07-08-2008, 10:48 PM,
Titanium eh? Must be a bugger going through airport security. I was behind a bloke at airport screening a few weeks ago with something similar. Despite his declaration that he had a letter etc. he had go through all the pavolva of removing his shoes, belt etc., being wanded and so on several times before they'd look at his documentation. What a painful world we live in at times.

Anyway keep plodding, and get better. Feel free to have a rant on my diary if it helps (something about how these uninjured slack buggers don't know how lucky they are and should just be getting out there and doing it might be appropriate)...!

Smile
Run. Just run.
11-08-2008, 01:36 PM,
Thank you for your words of encouragement, will try and get back on the tarmac this week, think I ought to give up the treddy after hearing about Isaac Hayes sad demise, wow, those things are dangrous.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7552986.stm
Phew this is hard work !
20-08-2008, 12:43 PM,
I resumed pavement pounding on Sunday by completing my old 3.4 mile circular route - felt more confident than I expected although did I leave it until the pavements had dried up, I'm still a bit unhappy negotiating potential slip hazards. Unfortunately rehabilitation for cello playing is not going as well, despite bi-weekly painful physio. However I am determined to get enough flexibility to allow me to play again. Stayed up to watch Paula, Liz and Mara perform on Saturday night. I felt sorry for Liz, but delighted that Paula actually finished, it must have been important to her to lay the Ghost of Athens Passed. Mara did brilliantly, after all she is the best placed Brit ever in the event, it's a shame her success was overshadowed by Paula's struggles.
Phew this is hard work !
21-08-2008, 09:15 AM,
I'm sure the flexibility will come SW. I have a plate screwed to my wrist after a cycling accident 8 years ago.

It's a difficult joint to get going again but it will come. And I've had no problems with it since.

Keep going Smile
21-08-2008, 11:37 AM,
I'd echo Glaconman SW. You have form when it comes to fighting adversity. You want this badly enough to ensure that you will overcome what sounds like a most frustrating injury. I'm going through similar problems with my knee; the injury seems minor by comparison but with two weeks total rest and strict adhesion to my physio routine it's no better. We shall overcome!

I have a good deal more faith in your ability to get back on the cello than I do in the bunch of posers who disgraced Wembley last night. Capello appears to have done a number on the FA, claiming to bring an uncompromising ruthlessness to the post but in reality doing little more than Second Choice Steve (apart from eschewing the umbrella). A stern face and severely framed specs won't get you too far when you're still trying to cram Lampard, Gerrard and Beckham into a midfield four. Where's the pace? Where's the creativity? Perhaps he should have gone to SpecSavers and got a back-up pair; Rooney's not cutting it - drop him. Lampard's anonymous; drop him. Give Gerrard some room to play instead of tying up one of his legs; I actually feel sorry for him at the moment (choke, gag).

To quote the mighty Barry Davis, and in light of the team GB heroics in Beijing, frankly who cares?

21-08-2008, 01:04 PM,
Thanks Guys, encouragement is much appreciated. Glad to hear that your wrist plate was entirely succesful Mr G, I'll keep my own fingers crossed - well on my right hand anyway :-)

Sweder, you must be so frustrated about your knee injury. Have you bought a bike yet??

The soccer last night was just plain awful, why doesn't "He Who Has Obviously Been to Specsavers" ditch the Premier Prima Donnas and get in some mere mortals who would love to play for their country and make some sort of effort on the pitch too.
Phew this is hard work !
25-08-2008, 05:02 AM,
Yep good to see you're back out there sw. Hang in there and you'll be playing cello again before you know it.

Speaking of cello, I had to look after Steven Isserlis for a short time at work the other week. Wasn't much of an encounter, but I thought of you at the time. Wink
Run. Just run.
02-09-2008, 02:33 PM,
Cool, wish I had a job were I could rub shoulders with the great and the good. Mr isserlis has a rather nice strad. went to one of his concerts a couple of years ago, lovely sound, but quite restrained playing.
I have had the cello out this week, can hold the strings down now - major breakthrough, trouble is the fingers don't seem to go where I expect them:-( never mind, it's some sort of progress.

On the running front I have been getting out for a few toddles, nothing earth shattering but hopefully it will help to shift this strange wobbly stuff that seems to have attached itself to my middle...Eek
Phew this is hard work !
02-09-2008, 03:08 PM,
stillwaddler Wrote:I have had the cello out this week, can hold the strings down now - major breakthrough, trouble is the fingers don't seem to go where I expect them:-(
Big Grin Just like my bass-playing!!! Big Grin
[SIZE="1"]er, except I haven't suffered major damage to my hands. I'm just rubbish :o[/SIZE]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Back from China stillwaddler 3 1,709 01-05-2014, 08:33 AM
Last Post: Sweder
  Back on the old board stillwaddler 6 3,014 28-02-2008, 12:32 PM
Last Post: stillwaddler