Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Back on the old board
14-02-2008, 04:52 PM,
Back on the old board
Funny how birthdays concentrate the mind..

Things have not been all plain sailing since having to pull out of the Stockport 10 before Christmas. The virus that I contracted then has lingered, lethargy, painful sinuses and a hacking cough being the most persistent symptoms. Running has been difficult. My log entry for the 10th of January noted, “very slow run, felt lousy, not sure I can do this anymore”.

Things have been a bit better since then, I’m getting out there a couple of times a week but haven’t run any further than 6 miles in ages. I’m registered for the Trafford 10k on the 9th of March and then the Wilmslow half a few weeks later, question is, how the hell am I ever going to run 13 miles:-) Can’t believe how much fitness I have lost in such a short space of time, and don’t know how I’m going to get it back in 6 weeks or so. till, nil carborundum.

I have been reading Hal Higdon’s book for veteran runners and am hoping to gather some inspiration from that. I’m not expecting any lifetime pb’s from now on, maybe I’ll just settle for yearly pb’s, in fact I’d just settle for being able to run at all when I reach bus pass age in 4 years time Undecided

I am resurrecting this old blog rather than using TypePad , hope this is OK?
14-02-2008, 08:10 PM,
Back on the old board
Know how you feel sw - the battle can be a bit rugged at times. I'm surviving by keeping my runs short and mixing it up with other forms of exercise (cycling esp. helpful).

Hang in there - it's worth the extra Guinness you get to drink with other runners.

Smile
Run. Just run.
15-02-2008, 12:25 AM,
Back on the old board
Good on you for sticking with it through the tough times SW.
Truth is you may not recover your form in 6 weeks. But 6 weeks of steady plodding, even over modest distances, will add to your confidence and fitness nonetheless. Treat the races as nothing more than extended training runs and run them for fun. That's why we do this, eh?

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

19-02-2008, 11:55 AM,
Back on the old board
your words of encouragement are most welcome. I have been cycling to work for hte last year or so, but the distance, 2 miles, plus the trafiic means it's not much use as a work out, however, it's a lot quicker than driving and less effort than walking :-)

Had a toddle out on Sunday at lunchtime, should have been for 6 miles, but cut it short at 4.5, no food that morning, a very late night with lots of lovely alchohol etc the night before probably had something to do with it....never mind, will go for a short waddle this luchtime, I feel the getting out there is the important bit at the moment, am hoping some sort of return to previous, all be it slow form will follow?
25-02-2008, 01:45 PM,
Back on the old board
things have been slightly better. Did a seven miler yesterday so am back on track with Hal H's half marathon training, am only doing the novice one this time as training has been such a dead loss since Christmas. Work is very busy, so am going to be hard pushed to do lunchtime training this week, but will do what I can.
27-02-2008, 08:38 PM,
Back on the old board
Well done sw - a half isn't too far away by the looks! Are you targetting a time for the 10k?
Run. Just run.
28-02-2008, 12:32 PM,
Back on the old board
I'll be happy just to complete it :-) Seriously, if I make it back in 1hour 5 I'll be happy at the moment, that would equal my personal worst as set last year, but as the years roll on I think I just have to be satisfied with getting round, or maybe try to set pb's for each age category?

How's your shorter run, more cross training going MLCM?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Back from China stillwaddler 3 1,711 01-05-2014, 08:33 AM
Last Post: Sweder
  Getting back to normal (ish) stillwaddler 10 5,290 02-09-2008, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Sweder