Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
May 2009
07-05-2009, 11:14 AM,
May 2009
Lurking in the shadows of Running Commentary over the last few of months I've been smoldering with various thoughts. Mainly that having the opportunity to run freely in the hills is a wonderful one. It's a privelege that just shouldn't be wasted.

The bicyle is back out and I'm managing to make the 30 mile round-trip to work a couple of times a week at least. This is really good news. It gives me a good base of fitness and makes the working day alot easier and more interesting.

The running is sporadic; but that's also been interesting. Less of the routine road runs and more off-road adventures have been the order of the day.

Sun 19th April - Bingley - St Ives Estate - Cottingly Woods Circuit - est 8+ miles hilly.
Quite a tall-order for my first run back in a long time. But I felt suprisingly in control of this one. I even managed to lengthen my stride through a long flat section of shrouded woodland. I couldn't walk for the rest of the day. But a really encouraging run nonetheless.

Sat 25th April - Bardon Bridge - Simons Seat - Valley of Desolation - The Strid Circuit - est 9 miles hilly.
One of my favorite runs. And just as well. I was dragged around this one to be honest. But the early evening sunshine and the beatiful backdrop made even a hard run a pleasure. It's a true fell run with the start dominated by a very steep ascent follwed by a long downhill section and an undulating river section to finish. I could run this every week and not tire.

Sun 3rd May - Oxenhope to Hebden Bridge via Top't Stairs and Midgehole - est 8+ miles hilly.
Dropping down through Crimsworth valley into Hebden Bridge is another great running experience. It'll be awhile before I can run back over the tops into the Worth Valley and beyond. But as there was a lift back in the pipeline this one had to be done.

Tue 5th May - Bunny Run Relays - Penistone Hill Park - Haworth - 2 miles - hilly.
My running team consisted of Emma and Lily from No2 with me running the first leg. I hadn't run such a short distance since school and what a humbling experience. Getting caught-up in what can only be described as a genuine 'race' I went all-out up the first hill. And never got my breath back until the line. The wind was so strong it was difficult to breath at times. Spent most of the time battling with a 10-year-old boy who took me on the final corner. Made me realise how one-dimensional my running is.

Happy:
http://www.woodentops.org.uk/index.php?t...klink=none

Not so happy:
http://www.woodentops.org.uk/index.php?t...klink=none

But it's early-doors and I've resolved to do this thing more often. What I've also realised is that although we can spend large amounts of time and money chasing adventures in far-flung parts of the world (and I'm as guilty as anybody); there are real adventures and challenges to be had on our doorstep where we can rub shoulders with some great athletes and rediscover our native landscape.
08-05-2009, 08:53 PM,
May 2009
Welcome back Gman. I would love to join you on some of those evocatively-named 8-milers. Real fell running is tough stuff so I'll need to get in shape, but a 'down your way' this summer is on my wish list. We might even pursuade El Gordo to join us . . .

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

10-05-2009, 03:07 PM,
May 2009
I will need little persuasion. Reading some of those routes produced a sharp prod of nostalgia, particularly Simon's Seat, which I walked several times when I lived that way, and ran/plodded once with GM.

It really is a very fine part of the world if you appreciate the outdoor life. The closeness to the great Timothy Taylor brewery, and their many tied houses, adds further temptation.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
11-05-2009, 10:52 AM,
May 2009
Sweder;

Sounds like a wholesome idea. There's plenty to run up around here. And you're right Andy, the Taylors takes some beating. Although there's some up-and-coming breweries such as Osset (http://www.ossett-brewery.co.uk/index.html) and Saltaire (http://www.saltairebrewery.co.uk/) that are worth paying money for. Particularly if you like your beer pale and fruity. First weekend in August could be a starter-for-ten. If we were real fell-runners we'd be busy that weekend of course:

http://www.borrowdalefellrunners.co.uk/b...f_race.htm

Sun 11th May - Bingley - St Ives Estate - Cottingly Woods Circuit - est 8 miles hilly.

An unremarkable run but a good one nonetheless. This route offers plenty of short nasty climbs and long sections of undulation in woodland. Even though I'm doing no midweek running to speak of I did manage a spring in my step today and a feeling of genuine improvement. If I can combine this with some faster runs, and curb my relationship with the fridge, then I might start to move in the right direction sooner rather then later.
11-05-2009, 11:45 AM,
May 2009
glaconman Wrote:But it's early-doors and I've resolved to do this thing more often. What I've also realised is that although we can spend large amounts of time and money chasing adventures in far-flung parts of the world (and I'm as guilty as anybody); there are real adventures and challenges to be had on our doorstep where we can rub shoulders with some great athletes and rediscover our native landscape.

Tell me about it! I can't even get to Almeria and it's "just down the road"..

Sounds like you've got some great running oppotunities where you are. Any chance of posting some more of your photos?

I've got a cousin living in Oxenhope. I must try and visit him some time:o
11-05-2009, 01:01 PM,
May 2009
Talking of real men-of-the-mountains. Hello BB.

I'll try and remember to take more snaps. The Yorkshire fells look like minor obstacles in comparison to your Galician exploits. But they still offer a decent challenge when you're trying to run over them, that's for sure Smile

I'll try and make it to the Oxenhope Village Fete Fell Race this year BB. I like the comment at the bottom of this page for those geographically challenged:

http://www.kcac.co.uk/?page_id=1279

ps. I'm following Armstrong on Twitter these days. He's putting in quite an effort in the Giro given the shoulder and his age.
11-05-2009, 09:00 PM,
May 2009
:RFLMAO: That race sounds brillient!

I liked the bit "you shouldn't stray off course and if you do ....pick us a few bilberries." Cool

Expect fireworks from Armstrong in some shape or form...
21-05-2009, 11:35 AM,
May 2009
Monday 19th May Home - Tower Farm - Steeton - Utley 5 miles hilly

I thought I could tonk around this at a comfortable pace with a fast stretch in the middle for good measure. But it was a deeply depressing run. I felt slow and heavy. All the good work over the last month just seems to have given me the green light to eat badly.

I know bad runs are habitual obstacles; but if I can't get into good dietary habits I'll never be the runner I want to be. There's no avoiding this fact. Although I try hard to.
27-05-2009, 12:15 PM,
May 2009
Saturday 23rd May - Haworth - Crimsworth Dean - Walshaw - Top Withins ('Wuthering Heights') - Haworth Circuit approx. 13 miles hilly.

It was good to be running along the Pennine Way for a short distance and to clock-up the milage off-road. A fairly casual run with plenty of minor stops for map-reading and sizing-up bulls. All-in-all a fantastic route which I'm keen to do again. Next time with a different sized torso. Legs seem ok though.

Tuesday 26th May - 40 minutes above Killarney co Kerry hilly

Stunning views during a business like road-run allowed me to get through the breakfast and evening sirloin.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  August 2009 glaconman 14 7,038 10-09-2009, 10:03 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  July 2009 glaconman 39 16,527 27-07-2009, 03:10 PM
Last Post: Bierzo Baggie
  June 2009 glaconman 18 8,651 02-07-2009, 12:08 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man