Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cricket World Cup
16-03-2007, 06:19 PM,
Cricket World Cup
It's here.

A slightly lethargic start, it's true. It hasn't made too much of a splash yet, but that was probably only because local interest had been confined to the appearances of Scotland and Ireland. But today England have arrived, so I suspect that the event's profile will start to rise in this country.

As I write, England are just starting their difficult task of containing New Zealand. The Kiwis need 210, a very achievable target.

Er, but wait, a great catch from Flintoff (making up for a disastrous duck with the bat) and suddenly NZ are 3 for 2. Hmm. Perhaps this isn't quite so bad....

So this match could be a bit more exciting than I was fearing. And with news coming in of SA's Herschelle Gibbs thumping six sixes in one over against the plucky Dutch, well -- perhaps these are good omens.

Despite their recent cricketing masterclass from England, you still have to fancy those slippery Aussies though.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
16-03-2007, 10:13 PM,
Cricket World Cup
My money's on the Kiwis.
Not just because they flattened our sluggish sluggers this evening or because they battered the Aussie Reserves recently . . . no, no such scientific analysis here, rather a nod to the portents clearly displayed in the BBC's coverage, or should I say carpet-bombing ads.

Those who've seen it (OK, those in the UK) might recall the adverts showing three blokes dressed as England supporters saying 'we can win it.' There follows a montage of foreigners, all archetypically dressed or situated to put the case for their own nations, pouring good-natured scorn on 'our' unfounded enthusiasm. All the major nations are represented, plus one or two of the less-well fancied, including Scotland and Ireland. Most, in fact, with the notable exception of . . . you’ve guessed it; the All Blacks. It is, to me, painfully obvious that this omission is in some way cosmically linked to the outcome. So my 50p is riding on Flemming’s Floggers to carry off the chalice, with an each-way aside on South Africa.

Of course I’ve more to gain if the Springboks leap to glory; I’ll be amongst them during the sharp end of this competition, and whilst I’ve not worked out exactly where I’ll be during the final, chances are I won’t be too far from a cool pint and convivial surroundings. Big hitting will play a part in this World Cup, and they don’t come much bigger, or hit much harder, than Mr Six-Sixes himself, Hershelle Gibbs. Not only that, but South Africa remain the only nation to have missed out on World Cup Glory thanks to a tie; not once, but twice. Could be it’s their turn to get the rub of the green.

I flatly refuse to back the Aussies.
It’s perceived madness to risk one’s dime against the Mighty Green and Gold, but surely it’s just too easy to wager on the one team apparently capable of talking their way into the final? John Buccanan has today attacked the South Africans whilst Glen McGrath drew a chorus of vaudeville yawns from the assembled journos whilst he savaged England one more time. Give it a rest, Glen, no-one gives a monkeys anymore old son. Just so long as your grinning mug isn’t leering out from behind ‘Pixie’ Ponting come the final reckoning.

One thing's nailed on: I'm going to be horribly sleep-deprived by the time we head of for the Cape. These late-night round-ups on the telly are already taking their toll. I'll miss tonight's, choosing to avoid the telly-box alltogether thanks to the celebrity love-in that is Comic Relief (great causes, greater nausea as the rich and famous make themselves feel better for a night*). But for the rest of the weeks ahead I'll be there, curled up on the sofa, red eyes squinting in the gloom, sound turned down so as not to waken the Sports Widow, cursing myself for not crawling under the duvet at nine-thirty when I'd started nodding off and could have banked a priceless nights' sleep.

[SIZE="1"]*The views expressed by Sweder do not necessarily reflect those of Running Commentary or associated members of this site. Sweder acknowledges that he is a curmudgeonly old git, and accepts he may well become a shoe-in for the lead in the next RC production of A Christmas Carol. More on this Red Nose nonesense later.[/SIZE]

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

17-03-2007, 12:43 PM,
Cricket World Cup
It's OK, curmudgeons are welcome here. The best treatment for Red Nose Day is to work on providing one for yourself. A few beers and a glass or two of something Italian did the trick for me.
El Gordo

17-03-2007, 10:49 PM,
Cricket World Cup
Anyone else watching this?

On St Patrick's Day, it's wonderful.

Right now, they need 5 to win off 48, with 4 wickets left.

But anything could happen.... Big Grin
El Gordo

17-03-2007, 11:34 PM,
Cricket World Cup
[Image: ani_lep_pipe.gif]

I watched it, though I couldn't - and still can't - believe it.
Two astonishing results in a row - Bangladesh easing past mighty India just an hour or so before the Irish ensured a party the like of which event the fine people of the Carribean have not encountered. Pakistan are out, by virtue of being behind Ireland and the Windies in the table, without a win, and having lost to those two teams. The best they can hope for is third place and a comfortable flight home. The site of Bob Woolmer slamming his silver Visio laptop into his rucksack at the end told a long and doubtless painful story.

It was almost even better; but for a last second, TV Ref-decided try Ireland would have added the Six Nations Championship. But as I said to my son's friend, Pat - celebrating his 18th birthday today of all days with a name like that - as we supped Guinness amongst the rugby and cricket shirts in the Elephant and Castle, there's only so wild a nation can go at one time.

Beggoragh.

But Andy - what were all those Glazer look-a-likes doing in the crowd Confused

[Image: ani_3leps_fiddles.gif]

[SIZE="1"]That's enough effing Leprechauns - Ed[/SIZE]

18-03-2007, 07:23 PM,
Cricket World Cup
Pakistan's woes go from bad to worse. Bob made a huge impact on both South African and Pakistani cricket (not to mention England of course), so tragic news indeed.

But congrats to Ireland, worthy qualifiers for the next round. [Oops, that statement is a little premature - apparently they've successfully knocked Pakistan out, but could still fail to qualify if Zimbabwe beat West Indies.]

Personally, I was not surprised Bangladesh beat India, which says more about the Indians than the Banglas. India are suffering the kiss of death that Greg Chappell brings to any side he coaches. A fine cricketing brain he may have, but he's lacking in other certain skills which ensures doom and misery for any team that takes him on. It will take years for India to recover.

I still like the look of South Africa for the Cup. Australia may be in with a chance, but will have to be at the top of their game with all their guns firing to win the thing. South Africa are cruising in overdrive, and won't be repeating the mistakes of World Cups past.

And I wouldn't write off New Zealand or England for a finals berth just yet either, although it's hard to see how they can knock over SA at this stage.

Crying shame about Bob though. Sad
Run. Just run.
18-03-2007, 07:27 PM,
Cricket World Cup
Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote:Crying shame about Bob though. Sad

Tragic news, indeed.
El Gordo

19-03-2007, 10:50 AM,
Cricket World Cup
Sweder Wrote:The site of Bob Woolmer slamming his silver Visio laptop into his rucksack at the end told a long and doubtless painful story.
Horribly prescient as it turns out.
Truly a sad loss, in no small way putting the nonsense permeating the England camp into rightful perspective.

RIP BW.

19-03-2007, 02:04 PM,
Cricket World Cup
I was visiting my local Irish pub in Saint Patrick.
I was drinking a pint, celtic music and a lots of green huts around me.
It was funny.
In TV, green fans were crazy about an extrange sport.
I have seen cricket Smile
Australia has at this moment all the sport around the world
Ana Smile
19-03-2007, 06:11 PM,
Cricket World Cup
MLCMan Wrote:It will take years for India to recover.

Blimey. No sooner does MLCMan give reasons for all good Indians to abandon hope than they rack up 413 against everone's favorite whipping boys (apart from England). The Little Master seems to have particularly enjoyed himself against the journeymen of Barbados, with an unbeaten 57 from 29 deliveries.

19-03-2007, 09:27 PM,
Cricket World Cup
Sweder Wrote:Blimey. No sooner does MLCMan give reasons for all good Indians to abandon hope than they rack up 413 against everone's favorite whipping boys (apart from England). The Little Master seems to have particularly enjoyed himself against the journeymen of Barbados, with an unbeaten 57 from 29 deliveries.

Well it was only Bermuda.

Even I could beat Bermuda. Rolleyes
Run. Just run.
21-03-2007, 10:18 AM,
Cricket World Cup
Eek

The death of Pakistan's cricket coach, Bob Woolmer, is being treated as suspicious, Jamaican police have said.

Former England Test batsman Woolmer, 58, died in hospital on Sunday after being found unconscious at the hotel where he was staying during the World Cup.

Pressure: Woolmer was under a great deal of strain
Police initially treated the cause of death as inconclusive, but Deputy Commissioner Mark Shields has said they have changed that view.

Shields read in a statement: "At the press conference earlier today we reported that the cause of death was inconclusive.

"Having met with the pathologist, other medical personnel and investigators there is now sufficient information to continue a full investigation into the circumstances surrounding the death of Mr Woolmer, which we are now treating as suspicious.

"We have already informed the Woolmer family of this development and we are also in close contact with the Pakistan team management, Cricket World Cup and ICC to ensure all parties are kept informed of the ongoing investigation."

Asked if he was saying that the coach had been murdered, he said: "No, we are not saying that."

Woolmer had been under considerable strain because of the under-performance of his Pakistan side.

The team was eliminated from the World Cup in the group stages of the competition following an opening day defeat to the West Indies and Saturday's embarrassing loss to Ireland.

The early exit of the former world champions prompted angry protest marches back home and Woolmer admitted after the game that he was considering his position.

"I would like to sleep on my future as a coach," he said. "Coaching is what I do best, therefore I'm not going to throw it away just like that. However, I will give it some thought. Travelling and being involved non-stop in hotels and so on takes its toll."

Pakistan had already decided to dedicate today's final World Cup game against Zimbabwe to Woolmer, a match which will go-ahead as scheduled.

From http://www.telegraph.co.uk/portal/main.
21-03-2007, 10:32 AM,
Cricket World Cup
The Telegraph article seems to be leading the reader towards the idea of suicide -- "taking its toll", "under considerable strain" etc. And perhaps that is what happened, but the BBC reporter on Five Live last night was saying that when she spoke to him after his press conference, he said he was keen to write a book and get involved in TV/radio commentary if he left his position as coach. This didn't strike me as the words of someone about to kill himself.

It's all just speculation at the moment though. We should learn more later.
El Gordo

21-03-2007, 10:58 AM,
Cricket World Cup
andy Wrote:The Telegraph article seems to be leading the reader towards the idea of suicide -- "taking its toll", "under considerable strain" etc.

I understood that to mean they were suggesting he might have had a connery.
21-03-2007, 11:12 AM,
Cricket World Cup
Seafront Plodder Wrote:I understood that to mean they were suggesting he might have had a connery.

This is one of those annoying situations where I don't know if that's a deliberate mistake or not. I'd better play safe and assume it's a quaint East Sussex colloquialism.

Anyway, er, OK, sorry, I misunderstood the original drift.
El Gordo

21-03-2007, 11:16 AM,
Cricket World Cup
Seafront Plodder Wrote:I understood that to mean they were suggesting he might have had a connery.
A Connery? You mean take a turn for the misogynistic, grow a silver goatee and move to Barbados?

The speculation is rife, bordering on the obscene. I heard a newshound from Pakistan floating the idea that some betting syndicate might be implicated. Implicated in what? So far all we know is a man tragically lost his life following a hugely stressful event.

I wish the journos would show a modicum of respect for the family (and the patently upset Pakistan team) and accept that the authorities will make a statement when they have something to say.

21-03-2007, 02:50 PM,
Cricket World Cup
Nahhhhhhhhh. Think they have just been lucky......

But it has made people over here in Ireland more aware of "Stick Ball".

Ger
21-03-2007, 03:31 PM,
Cricket World Cup
Gersrunning Wrote:But it has made people over here in Ireland more aware of "Stick Ball".
Ger

Stickball from now on.

A much better name.
El Gordo

22-03-2007, 07:35 PM,
Cricket World Cup
Wow, you've got to like the look of New Zealand after that amazing 20-ball 50 from McCullum.

Ohmygosh ... I just praised the Kiwis. Now I know I'm having a breakdown.

Eek
Run. Just run.
23-03-2007, 04:51 AM,
Cricket World Cup
Just two hours after saying Bob Woolmer's death was definitely not murder, and that the person who had suggested it to the media was a "rogue policeman", now the police have said it definitely is being treated as murder.

Nasty business.

Let's hope (not that it'll make any difference to the bereaved) that it was some crazed loon, and not something darker and deeper in the world of cricket. Sad
Run. Just run.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  World Cup Brazil 2014 / Weltmeisterschaft Brasilien Sweder 78 50,242 22-07-2014, 08:35 PM
Last Post: Bierzo Baggie
  Vellicating cricket Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 1 1,756 19-02-2014, 04:09 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  World Cup 2010 Sweder 25 14,446 12-07-2010, 05:52 PM
Last Post: Antonio247
  When too much cricket is barely enough. Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 6 2,943 21-12-2009, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  English Cricket Sweder 4 2,946 21-12-2009, 06:44 AM
Last Post: martinfoster
  When too much cricket is nowhere to be seen. Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 6 3,276 30-11-2009, 09:29 PM
Last Post: El Gordo
  Real cricket. Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 9 5,739 20-09-2009, 07:33 AM
Last Post: Sweder
  Big Cup, Small Crowd Sweder 14 6,253 06-06-2008, 12:14 PM
Last Post: stillwaddler
  Never enough cricket. Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 0 1,433 19-05-2008, 09:47 PM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  Ryder Cup 2006 Nigel 2 1,883 22-09-2006, 11:22 AM
Last Post: El Gordo