Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
World Cup 2010
03-06-2010, 12:48 PM,
World Cup 2010
Kicking off a hopefully ribald, interactive exchange of views on goings on in South Africa. Here's a cracking way to follow the tournament/ view fixtures:

http://www.marca.com/deporte/futbol/mund...glish.html

Stand by for a tsunami of hyperbole.
And EG, I promise no links to rubbish multi-national football ads.
Unless they're exceptionally crass.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

03-06-2010, 02:48 PM,
RE: World Cup 2010
That graphic component reminds me of the Alan Partridge contraption made of wood filmed from above on The Day Today.

Normally I would type Mitchell, Webb and Football into YouTube, watch that for 5 minutes, then get on with my life.

But I guess 4 games every 4 years is not too bad to endure.
24-06-2010, 07:57 AM,
England v Germany
Then... England v Argentina
Then... England v Spain in the semi final
1-0 wins all the way to the final, I can see Capello really spoiling this world cup.
Wait and see....Wink
24-06-2010, 08:17 AM,
Danny Baker put forward a good theory that there's a pattern to England: start off bad, get worse, get better then go out after a couple of great performances. Which might point to a quarter-final exit against Argentina.

England do tend to rise and fall according to the level of opposition so hopefully the more difficult half of the draw can work to their advantage.
24-06-2010, 10:33 AM,
I'd rather face Germany than Ghana. You know what you're going to get with ze Germans; Ghana look athletic, strong, skillful, unpredictable and last night a tad unlucky. Think Cameroon circa Italia '90.

Just happy we're still in it. Rooney looked better if still slightly 'off' last night but if his best is yet to come, bring 'em on. Lampard too seems to be keeping his powder dry. In any event fates have conspired and I'll be 4 miles above the Eastern Seaboard when that kicks off on Sunday. I'm on Virgin so one can only hope for a British pilot with a patriotic sense of duty.

England expects ...

ps: Still tipping Argentina to win the lot.
Unless Maradona implodes and sacks Messi, I've seen nothing to touch them so far.

24-06-2010, 09:58 PM, (This post was last modified: 24-06-2010, 10:02 PM by Bierzo Baggie.)
(24-06-2010, 10:33 AM)Sweder Wrote: I'd rather face Germany than Ghana. You know what you're going to get with ze Germans; Ghana look athletic, strong, skillful, unpredictable and last night a tad unlucky. Think Cameroon circa Italia '90.

Was thinking exactly that myself. Saw a re-run of that game not long ago and i'd forgotten how lucky England had been. Cameroon were easily the better team.
England's best game in the 1990 tournament was the one they lost against Germany in the semi final. We forget they hadn't played particularly well up to then.

England have always specialized in glorious defeats (the exception being that one against Brazil 8 years ago.. Brazil with 10 men were there for the taking and Sven's men showed a pitiful lack of ambition).

Capello on the other hand specializes in unglorious victories.

Thought Milner was excellent the other day. Just as well John Terry wasn't picking the team!Wink
25-06-2010, 08:06 AM,
Somehow the news that the England players have chosen to wear their "lucky" red shorts against Germany makes me nervous. Not only that they care about the colour of a bit of polyester, but also the implication that they are more inspired by the mighty 1-0 victory over Slovenia than a certain match in 1966. No doubt Beckenbauer will have something to say about the decision.
28-06-2010, 12:28 PM,
I don't watch much football these days so it's impossible for me make any meaningful contribution about which players should have been on the pitch or which formation they should play.

But it seemed that England were a team fearful of playing the game in an instinctive manner; letting the occassion control them rather than doing a professional job.

Ten years ago Malcolm Gladwell wrote a great article about 'choking' within the context of sporting failure. And it seems relevant to the English team now.

Perhaps for less technical sports (such as running) the occassion can be used to the sportsman's advantage. They can drink it up and use it to inspire them and lift them to great things. In running much of the hard work is done before the day and all that remains to be done is to stay switched on and concentrate; after all you're doing something very instinctive.

But for technical sports such as football and tennis (Gladwell uses the example of Jana Novotna) the occassion can impede the performance. Far better to try and divorse the game from the occassion and be pragmatic and professional about the job at hand. In the same way the team would be if they were asked to take on Germany on a training ground without any audience.

This is a tall order for anybody but I would argue a vital mental attribute for any footballer and something that could be taught through good coaching.
28-06-2010, 09:25 PM,
(28-06-2010, 12:28 PM)glaconman Wrote: But it seemed that England were a team fearful of playing the game in an instinctive manner; letting the occassion control them rather than doing a professional job.

Mr Capello would definitely discourage anything “instinctive”.

Saw the first half. England came back from being two goals down...to the Germans.

I can’t remember anybody ever coming back from 2 goals down to the Germans. This had all the hallmarks of another glorious defeat... or even (following a half-time team talk in which John Terry is bludgeoned to death) a Capelloesque rearguard action and dare I say it....victory on penalties.

But then referee and linesman bizarrely missed the second goal. Even the regulars in the insalubrious spliff-den where I was watching the match saw the ball cross the line... before the action replay.

Left at half time convinced it was 2-2 and made up my own second half on the way home. (50-year old Cyrille Regis was introduced as a late sub and scored a last gasp diving header...) Undecided

How’s the running going Glaconman?
28-06-2010, 10:51 PM,
I missed the whole thing - thanks Virgin for the updates, they interrupted Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland and I rather wish they hadn't. From what I saw before the match England didn't deserve to go further. It's a shame about the officials c0cking things up but that shouldn't mask the failure of the 'Golden Generation' (what tosh) to gel as a unit.

I welcomed Capello's austerity when he came in so it would be churlish to blame him alone now. G-Man's observation resonates with me; fear was the enemy, or at least one of them along with hubris and denial. Germany, Hollland, Argentina ... they play without fear. They all look well drilled, seem to know one another (unlike England who play like they were introduced in the tunnel) and play instinctive, attractive football whilst defending resolutely.

Brazil have been dissapointing. The scoreline v Chile was flattering (although the goals well-taken). I can't recall a Brazil team diving and rollling about quite so much. Speaking of which, it's Spain v Portugal tomorrow ...

29-06-2010, 09:09 AM,
Not much running going on unfortunatley BB.

I was diagnosed as having an acute tear with my plantar fascia; but looks like there may be a more degenerative problem lurking there also.

Having said that I have done some low-level jogging in the park; and I'm cycling into work a few times a week. So maybe I can regain some fitness over the coming weeks. I'm currently seeing-off a chest infection Sad

Good to read of your recent mountain exploits though Smile

Suprised El G hasn't turned-up for some 'hot soccor chat'. He's an unpredictable chap these days Huh

My local cross-country course is being officially opened tonight so will go along and jog around in me hoops:

http://kcac.co.uk/2010/06/official-openi...xc-course/
30-06-2010, 09:08 AM,
Some pics from the cross-country course opening last night here.

I was going to jog around with the boy but with olympians and world record holders watching on I had to have a go Blush and despite being a couple of stone above my fighting weight and vitually no running in 4 months it didn't feel too bad. Onwards and upwards ...
30-06-2010, 11:45 AM, (This post was last modified: 30-06-2010, 11:49 AM by Seafront Plodder.)
Well I recognise David Hemery. Who's the guy in the suit? Huh
30-06-2010, 01:00 PM,
(30-06-2010, 11:45 AM)Seafront Plodder Wrote: Well I recognise David Hemery. Who's the guy in the suit? Huh

Hi SP.

He's a Tanzanian called Filbert Bayi. He ran what alot of commentators regard as one of the greatest 1500 races in athletics history; winning the Gold and taking the World Record at the 1974 Commenwealth games. He led from start to finish. It's just a shame the boycott stopped him from going to Moscow in 1980 because he was in great shape at-the-time. Obviously he's put abit of timber on since then Big Grin.

Hemery looks the same though. Looked as though he could have danced around that park faster than all of us.

Bayi
Hemery
06-07-2010, 12:54 PM,
Loved those photos on flikr. Filbert Bayi is a new one for me.. thanks.

The first great African runner I remember was Henry Rono. Absolute legend, broke world records for 10000m 5000m and steeplechase all within 3 months whilst on a diet of beer and hot dogs. A lot of these African trailblazers fell on hard times after their initial success and Rono is one of them but the last I heard he was getting back into athletics and training college kids in the US. Looks like Bayi maintains an active interest too, good luck to 'm, these guys were true champions and many never received the recognition that they deserved.

As for the footie... Messi, Ronaldo, Rooney, Eto'o, Torres, Henry and all the other overpaid losers... sort of lost interest when England were knocked out but I reckon Spain'll win it now.
06-07-2010, 01:07 PM,
Yes, alot of their stories are coming out now in books and films.

I did the Oxenhope Straw Race on Sunday btw BB. I wonder if your cousin was watching. I had the luxury of running with a strong runner and competent drinker but it was still very hard given I'd not run in anger since March. And keeping the beer down was a challenge. But we finished in 7th, 3mins behind the winners (Ian Holmes and Willy Smith). What a great day out though.

Glaconman

ps. I'm the one with the turban

Mrs Glaconman

More pictures here. Look for the 10 Harry Hills, my personal favourite.

More Pictures

I'd like Holland to win for some reason.
07-07-2010, 07:53 AM,
Looks impressive, GM. Why the large number of lifeguards? And how come some people are carrying a bale on their own? (Doubly impressive.)

Doesn't appeal to me right now; about to head off to the Doc's after putting me back out -- seemingly due to a badly adjusted baby carrier...
07-07-2010, 09:06 AM,
Sorry to hear about the back Dan; I think we all dread the prospect of a bad-back. Hope it's sorted soon. Maybe invest in a copy of The Back Sufferers Bible to help self-treatment.

Every year most of the Keighley & Craven runners decide on a theme and use the same costume. This year it was Baywatch.

Everybody runs in a team of two on a 3 mile route between 6 pubs. You pick the bail up at the second pub and drink a pint in each of the first 5 pubs. But if you want to optimise your time it's considered best practice to keep the bail moving. So some people willl be carrying it on their own while their partner is knecking the beer in the previous pub or the next pub.
08-07-2010, 11:06 PM,
(07-07-2010, 07:53 AM)marathondan Wrote: ... about to head off to the Doc's after putting me back out -- seemingly due to a badly adjusted baby carrier...

Ow, those babies have a lot to answer for, don't they? Hope the back comes good soon, Dan.
Run. Just run.
09-07-2010, 04:13 PM,
Thanks chaps... heavy duty painkillers have worked wonders, enough to keep me mobile and let the body do its healing work. Hopefully back to running (and DIY) next week. I have a fabulous two months off work (between contracts) so no excuses.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  World Cup Brazil 2014 / Weltmeisterschaft Brasilien Sweder 78 50,243 22-07-2014, 08:35 PM
Last Post: Bierzo Baggie
  Ashes 2010 Sweder 11 5,648 14-01-2011, 02:07 AM
Last Post: Sweder
  Cricket World Cup El Gordo 44 25,041 25-12-2009, 07:29 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  Big Cup, Small Crowd Sweder 14 6,253 06-06-2008, 12:14 PM
Last Post: stillwaddler
  Ryder Cup 2006 Nigel 2 1,883 22-09-2006, 11:22 AM
Last Post: El Gordo
  World Cup Nonsense Sweder 191 115,271 20-08-2006, 01:00 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  Apparently there's a World Cup or something coming up marathondan 7 3,599 26-05-2006, 03:58 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  P C World. - What a crock of shite Seafront Plodder 10 7,708 22-03-2006, 08:10 PM
Last Post: Seafront Plodder