Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
10th Almería half marathon. 28th January 2007
04-02-2007, 09:06 PM,
Saturday 29th January 2007

On Saturday, I picked Suzie, Andy, Nigel and Sweder at the airport. Oddly enough, I met them outside the airport waiting for me. Apparently, the plane arrived some minutes before it was supposed to. Besides, I thought it would take them some time to get their luggage. We were lucky it was sunny since the previous days it had been raining a lot. We decided to have breakfast at a café by the seafront at Costacabana, a neighbourhood near the airport. Unfortunately, they did not have “tortilla de patatas” ( Spanish omelette ) so they had some coffee, orange juice and two slices of cheese toast while I had a cup of “poleo” ( sort of herbal tea ) and two tomato slices of toast with olive oil. After that, I took them to the lighthouse in Cabo de Gata along a winding road that reminded Sweder of the Two oceans marathon route in South Africa. We enjoyed the landscape especially Nigel since he could notice better the volcanic origin of the rocks and took some photos. As they were very tired after getting up so early, they suggested going back to the hotel instead of going to another place uphill where we could see the other side of the bay near San José. Next year, I´ll take you there if you like.

In the evening, I picked them up at the hotel at 7 o´clock and went to the stadium to pick up the race number, chip and bag of goodies. There were a T-shirt, some leaflets, a magazine, a pack of CASI tomatoes, a local co-op, a “ATLETA” card, etc. We had to go back to the girls who gave us the bag to ask for the ticket for the pasta dinner. There, we met Carmen, a friend of mine who is also a teacher of English with her little son, Paquito and Encarna, who had registered for the half marathon but she finally decided to take part in the 10 km race instead and her son Adrián. After a few telephone calls from PaulK, who had got lost in the motorway, I saw him and his wife appear. So, the whole runningcommentary team taking part in the race were together. After having a look at some stands at the expo we went to the queue to have dinner at the VIP room at the stadium with a magnificent view of the football pitch. As Carmen and Encarna had a ticket for the second shift, they told me to have dinner with the forumites and I told them that I would be with them after leaving them at the airport. We had a very good time having lunch and talking about our aims for the race and this year. When we were going out, we also met Guillermo, with whom I have taken part in some competitions and he would take part at the half the following day as well although he had been ill for a few weeks without being able to train much.

After saying goodbye to PaulK and his wife who were going back to their home in the Albox area and leaving the others at the hotel. It had started raining. I came back to the stadium where Carmen, Encarna and their sons and Guillermo were having dinner. I met another runner who was having dinner at the same table. His name was Pedro and he came from the province of Alicante. He had taken part at Santa Pola half the previous weekend but he took it easy since he was accompanying his brother. He liked mountain biking and running and his aim was to do this half under 1 hour 45 minutes. After wishing each other good luck the following day, we left the stadium. It was raining a lot. Would it be rainy the next day?
( to be continued )

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

05-02-2007, 06:14 PM,
Good stuff Antonio.
Don't keep us waiting for part 2 for too long!

By the way, is it a rule of the Almería Tourist Board that you can only publish photos of blue skies over the city?
I think we should be told . . . Big Grin

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

05-02-2007, 08:38 PM,
Gracias, Sw. I´m afraid that in the next photos the skies won´t be so blue.

Here it goes.

Sunday 28th January 2007
When I first looked out of the window on Sunday morning, I saw it was windy. Fortunately, the wind went down later and it wasn´t so windy at the race except in the part near the sea with no buildings where it could be noticed a little. On my way to my brother´s house, I met Antonio L, the man who encouraged me to go running again five years ago. I gave him a lift to the stadium after picking up my brother. We left the car at the stadium car park and met a man from Málaga who happened to be an athletics umpire. He had been a fast long distance runner when he was young. At the stadium, I met Riccardo from Italy because I had collected his bag with the race number the previous day. After that, I went to the car park where I met some running friends and PaulK. We went back to the stadium where we met the other RC members. As Sweder did not come back from the baggage place, I went to see him among a lot of people trying to find their race number ticket to put it in the bag. I told the lady who was helping as a volunteer to lend us a pen so that we could leave it quickly because the race was about to start. Then, we left and met our colleagues on the way to the start. We passed through a codified mat an waited for the start. There, I saw Riccardo, Encarna and Guillermo. When the runners in front started running, we went off but we didn´t see another codified mat so that we could know our real time at the end of the race. I saw a young man running and kicking a ball so well that it did not bother anyone. He looked so comfortable. I greeted Germán, an old runner who comes from Madrid and he always runs with a t-shirt with the Cuban and Spanish flag. He told me that he would take it easy sicne he hadn´t trained for ten months due to an injury. Actually, he arrived the last but one holding hands with a woman.

I felt quite well so I headed off watching Sweder in front of me. I managed to go at a 5:20 pace the first kilometres. I think it was a good idea to shorten the Rambla hill since it gave me wings to go down the Rambla. I saw some people in the public who greeted me because we are friends. I saw my brother at avenida Cabo de Gata taking photos. I saw PaulK going back and Sweder later. When I came back from the Nueva Almería roundabout, I saw Nigel, then, Guillermo who told me that he would reach me. In fact, he had been running with Encarna but she decided to do the 10 km since she had been ill recently. Then, I greeted Suzie and later Andy. At Zapillo square I smelled of churros from Rosita café. I went on to climb the Rambla again. Here I met a reporter called Nigel who was recording the race and making people behind laugh a lot. I tried to follow him but I couldn´t so I went with Manolo, a man who organises the 24 hours in Almería ( running and mountain biking ). We went down the Rambla to see first Manlo´s wife and later Carmen, Paquito and Adrián cheering us. Then, we went along Avenida Cabo de Gata to Nueva Almería and up Avenida del Mediterráneo to the stadium where I saw Sweder and Encarna cheering. I felt fine doing the final lap and a half and managed to arrive in 2 hours 2 minutes 47 seconds according to my watch. After giving the chip back I was given a raincoat and a rucksack with several things. I met Nigel there and we congratulated each other. An old man asked Nigel where he was from and they talked a little. The man said goodbye and told him to tell his president to give us back Gibraltar. Then, we met Sweder and Encarna . There, we waited for Suzie and Andy to arrive. My friend Felipe, who couldn´t run because of illness, came down to congratulate us. After having a look at the prize giving and greeting Antonio Orta, the man in charge of the half marathon at the local Sports Department, we left the stadium.

After a well deserved shower, I went to pick the RC team members at their hotel. They were having a beer at the bar. Sweder asked me if I wanted one but I refused. We went to the sea front where we had the official post race photo taken with several cameras. We all were wearing the half marathon T-shirt that we were given the previous day. Then, we got into the restaurant “Building” at the sea front where we found at the table some garlic crème and some almonds to start with as an appetiser. We ordered a jug of beer and we had paella as the main course and as a starter they had ham soup and I preferred some salad.. For dessert, some of them had cheese cake and Nigel and myself chose almond crème which was really great. After that, we had a cup of coffee except me. I preferred a cup of “poleo”, sort of mint tea. We had a really good time and I think that the “ relationship quality – price “ was very good. I mean it was very good value. After the wonderful meal, I took them to Molly Malone at Paseo de Almería. Unfortunately, I had to go back home but the “fiesta” would continue on Monday afternoon and evening.

( to be continued )

05-02-2007, 10:29 PM,
Well done, Antonio. Excellent writing, and 2:01:17 by my unofficial corrected clock time.

It's just too bad about that mystery reporter hassling you en route. I hope he suffered in the later parts of the race (strangely enough, I've got a funny feeling that perhaps he did ...).

That almond creme dessert was incredible. I'm looking forward to the next one already, even if it does possibly mean giving up Gibraltar ...
07-02-2007, 07:37 PM,
Thank you, Nigel. Are you better from the discomfort in your muscles? I hope so.

Monday 29th January 2007

On Monday after school I went to the Tryp Indalo hotel to meet Sweder to go to Baños de Sierra Alhamilla where we would go down along the dirt track to Pechina. It was a bit rainy. I met the whole team at the hotel. They had been at the sea front having lunch and before that they had gone for a run. Andy didn´t feel like it and Suzie had to stop because of some discomfort in some muscles.

Nigel came with us and drove the car back to Pechina. First, we went to the town hall square and drove along the course that we did last year to the top of the Baños along the road. When we arrived at that oasis in the desert, we took some photos. There are a few houses, the spa which was closed and a hot water spring. We waved goodbye to Nigel and gave him some clothes to take to the car. He gave us his camera to take photos along the course.. There were some palm trees up there. The first kilometre is a very steep down hill. Then, there is a dry river bed but we tried to follow a narrow track although we lost it and had to find our way again. There was little vegetation except some aromatic plants. We went along a wider path to reach some houses with barking dogs. We reached the town and got to the square where Nigel was waiting for us. It took us about 50 minutes. I really enjoyed this run after the half marathon. I think it is something to be repeated every year. I´m really happy that Sweder suggested doing it and I thank Nigel for coming with us and driving the car back to Pechina.

After that, we went to a café in the town where we had some coffee and cakes. We had a good time there. Then, I took them back to the hotel.

At 9 pm, I went to Molly Malone´s where they were having a pint of Guinness with some tapas. I accepted a Guinness and we had a good time chatting. It was raining a little when we went out and headed for “El Quinto Toro”, a typical bar in the city centre with a lot of decoration related to bullfighting since its owner had been a bullfighter himself although he died a few years ago and now it is his son who runs the bar. The name comes from the bull that killed Manolete, a well-known bullfighter in the 1940s . It was the fifth bull, called “Islero”, which killed the matador. By the way, there is a film about him and his love called “Manolete”. http://WWW.imdb.com/title/tt0491046/
It is starred by Adrien Brody and Penélope Cruz.

Oddly enough, the bar was very quiet with just a TV on. We had Rioja and some tapas such as meat, jamón and some plates of “ibéricos”, cheese, etc. As they were closing at around 11 pm, we decided to go to the National Geographic pub but they did not have any Rioja, so we went to a bar called La Charca Where we had a bottle of Rioja with just a hot potato tapa since they did not feel like eating any more but I asked for it and we all tried it and liked it. As usually, we drank a toast to the absent members of this forum, to other occasions where we will meet and to the achievement of our challenges. Finally, we went to the paseo de Almería where we said goodbye and I felt sad because their stay was nearly over but at the same time happy to have had a very good time with all of them. I´m looking forward to another gathering which I hope will be as enjoyable as this one.

07-02-2007, 10:58 PM,
Darn that muscular discomfort . . . gets everywhere y'know.

I'm pleased that you and Andy are both keen to add the Banos downhill run to the Almería schedule for 2008 - it really was terrific fun, although for me the rain added to the pleasure. I like the idea that there is no actual trail to follow, just a general direction to head in. Into every life a little anarchy must fall Wink

07-02-2007, 11:04 PM,
Sweder Wrote:I'm pleased that you and Andy are both keen to add the Banos downhill run to the Almería schedule for 2008 - it really was terrific fun, although for me the rain added to the pleasure. I like the idea that there is no actual trail to follow, just a general direction to head in. Into every life a little anarchy must fall Wink

I think it will give the Monday a bit of purpose before the evening festivities kick off. A slight shame that Antonio has to wait till after work though, as it would be nice to perhaps make it a longer jaunt and start earlier. I also like the idea that it should be optional walk/run. I may not fancy an 8km run the day after the race, but a bracing stroll down the mountain could be just the thing, with the option of a spell of jogging here and there.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
08-02-2007, 07:11 PM,
Andy, I think it is a great idea to have the option to do the Baños de Sierra Alhamilla-Pechina either running/jogging or walking/jogging. I´m sorry not to be able to go earlier. I could try to change the last class with a colleague so that I could leave earlier on that Monday.

Regards

Antonio

08-02-2007, 09:25 PM,
I think the timing worked out very well, Antonio.
This allows us to wander along to the promenade to enjoy a stroll and a leisurely lunch before the run. If we went earlier, why, we'd miss out on lunch Eek

Also, a later start on the hills means a later start in the pub.
That's no bad thing for those of us - ahem - unaccustomed to heavy drinking Big Grin

09-02-2007, 03:35 PM,
I agree with you, S. I think it is great to be at the seaside in the morning and in the mountains and coutryside in the afternoon.

Last Saturday I went to Baños de Sierra Alhamilla on bicycle. It reminded me of the last time I was there with you and Nigel.

Regards

Antonio

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  XXII Medio maratón de Almería Antonio247 5 1,281 11-02-2019, 03:38 PM
Last Post: Antonio247
  XXI Medio maratón ciudad de Almería 4th February 2018 Antonio247 2 959 13-03-2018, 09:48 PM
  XX Medio maratón de Almería 5th February 2017 Antonio247 5 2,481 23-02-2017, 09:15 PM
  XIX Medio maratón de Almería Antonio247 21 10,561 28-03-2016, 11:22 AM
Last Post: El Gordo
  XVII Almería half marathon. 2nd February 2014 Antonio247 5 3,996 03-03-2014, 09:43 PM
  XVI Medio maratón de Almería 27th January 2013 Antonio247 6 5,244 18-02-2013, 05:21 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  Worcester half marathon 15th April 2012 Antonio247 18 12,116 27-05-2012, 08:06 AM
  XIV Medio maratón de Almería and other races Antonio247 15 12,631 01-08-2011, 09:01 PM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  XIII Medio maratón de Almería 31st January 2010 Antonio247 13 11,230 02-04-2010, 09:43 PM
  II San Silvestre Almería. 27th December 2009 Antonio247 6 5,986 05-01-2010, 11:14 AM