Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bombay 2006 - Vultures
02-01-2006, 08:22 AM,
Bombay 2006 - Vultures
My 2 hour run was completed. But only just. I wasn't that well rested, fed or hydrated and I went out too fast. On the way back the urge to stop was stronger than I have ever felt it.

On the way back I saw vultures for the first time, circling menacingly above. I'd seen them in numbers in the Thar desert of Rajastan, but not here. Was it a lame goat they'd spotted hobbling in the dust? Or were they here to pick over my marathon plans?

My one hour runs here have been great. I feel like I could run a good 10k every night. And if I were entering a half marathon I'd be feeling pretty smug. But the 2 hour run I did was so hard, it left me with no confidence in my abilities to complete this marathon. The thought of turning around and doing it again was just inconceivable. OK, I could run slower; I mean, I will run slower. But people here are reminding me that Bombay is a different climate. Slightly hotter, and humid with it.

My only consolation is that the majority of the run took place on a fairly deserted road. And when I got back to the built-up areas my pace picked-up alittle, so I think I must respond to running around people and the support they offer.

I feel like writing pages and pages of excuses at this point to cover my back: it was the festive season, it's too hot, I'm still fat, I'm still fat. I'm still fat. I can't stop drinking beer every night. It seems like the right thing to do.

But what-the-hell. I'll just keep on going and see what happens. I'll try another 2 hour run tonight. My last long run before the race.

And here are a few pics. Hope everybody had a good New Year. Let's keep running!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

02-01-2006, 08:24 AM,
Bombay 2006 - Vultures
Dodging the trucks

02-01-2006, 08:31 AM,
Bombay 2006 - Vultures
These Rajastani women are working as labourers on the building site next door. Just to remind me a) how lucky I am and b) how miserable I am.

02-01-2006, 04:00 PM,
Bombay 2006 - Vultures
The same thing happened to me before running a marathon last June. Only did 2 "long" runs beforehand, both of two hours and felt extremely crap in each one. Ran by myself in both and it was hot so I think the actual difficulty was multiplied. Started the marathon low in confidence and not too sure if I'd get around, but the motivation of running with other people makes it all easier and the sheer experience of running in Bombay will be worth a few extra miles I suppose. All the best anyway!

By the way Glaconman, have you ever thought about working for "National Geographic"...that's an astonishingly beautiful last photo you took!
02-01-2006, 11:41 PM,
Bombay 2006 - Vultures
Great update, GM. I tend to agree with BB. The occasion will get you over the finish line.

The race is when? Jan 15 I think? Remember that no long runs you do now will have any real training benefit for the next 2 or 3 weeks, so you might be better off just running short now to keep flexible and getting your head right.

And yes, carbs and hydration are essential now but this DOES NOT MEAN BEER! After this week I'd stick to water and get plenty of rest.

Having a crisis of confidence in the week or two before the race is pretty much compulsory, so don't worry. It looks like everything is going to plan Big Grin
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
03-01-2006, 05:32 AM,
Bombay 2006 - Vultures
Thanks for the encouragement chaps; as always, it's great to have people who've 'got the t-shirt' to calm the nerves alittle.

Just to qualify the situation (so you don't think I'm milking this uncertainty thing!): I'm reasonably confident of getting-around, as I'm not that undertrained.

However, my aim is to run the course continuously. And if I'm honest, I'll be disappointed if this doesn't happen. I don't mean to open up one of the perrenial debates.

btw BB, I can't take credit for any of the photos as my missus took them all. Many thanks to her (M, as it happens) for following me for 2 hours on a motorbike.
03-01-2006, 10:35 AM,
Bombay 2006 - Vultures
andy Wrote:And yes, carbs and hydration are essential now but this DOES NOT MEAN BEER! After this week I'd stick to water and get plenty of rest.

Ah, the diversity of the running world. I wouldn't condone excessive beer drinking in the next two weeks, but you look/ sound like the sort of chap who enjoys the occasional pint. I've imbibed the odd Guinness in the last weeks, even the night before the big 'un. If nothing else it helped me sleep.

Sounds to me like you'll do just fine, GM.
It's the cocky 'Got this licked' types that tend to fall horribly short. You've got the right blend of confidence from all the training and fear of the unknown. Your incredible journey starts here - the journey within.
I've no doubt you will amaze yourself.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

03-01-2006, 01:27 PM,
Bombay 2006 - Vultures
Sweder ... I'll always be grateful to you for giving me this green light in my hour of need. I wonder if MLCM is around to offer further support on these beer matters?

BB ... my missus was very flattered by your comments on her photographic composition. This place has such diversity in it's people that if you've got the balls to ask people you can achieve great results with portraits.

btw Andy I did another 2 hour run yesterday which I took much easier, in the cool of dusk and have declared that to be my last one over an hour. So will definitely take your advice regarding the taper now. I can also indulge in an ayurvedic massage. When in Rome.
03-01-2006, 08:26 PM,
Bombay 2006 - Vultures
andy Wrote:And yes, carbs and hydration are essential now but this DOES NOT MEAN BEER! After this week I'd stick to water and get plenty of rest.

Gad, so it's come to this. Our illustrious leader has trodden the path of puritanism Eek Give the guy a break - he's battling leopards, vultures and torturous heat and now temperance is looming large as well! Rolleyes

Carbs aren't the problem here, it's a matter of alcohol - which is both dehydrating and um, relaxing (some say it acts as a depressant, but not with this boy-o). Personally, I find running difficult within about 12 hours of drinking a couple of beers: but in the evening after a run, I can't see it as being a problem unless I'm planning another early morning jaunt the next day.

Doubt I'd drink within 48 hours of a race though, just to be safe. Except that I have it on good authority that it keeps vultures away... or was that vampires? Sometimes my memory's a bit vague after a few snifters.

Do watch out for that temperance union though Wink
Run. Just run.
06-01-2006, 10:56 AM,
Bombay 2006 - Vultures
Hi Glaconman

Just a quick note to say how much I'm really enjoying these reports, so please do keep it up. That photo of you dodging the trucks reminded me of a scene from Mad Max 2 which I somehow ended up watching again this Christmas.

Impressive stuff, these 2 hour runs. It sounds like you've completed three inside around ten days. That's incredible in the conditions, and on your own. I'd echo the sentiments expressed above, though, that it's definitely time to start taking it a lot easier now. Pre-race rest makes more difference almost than an entire training programme.

That tendency you've mentioned of sometimes now feeling tempted to set off too fast is also very encouraging. In my experience that is a characteristic and fantastically positive sign that you're in perfect shape, peaking with energy and bursting to go. You really can use that energy to good effect, since it will carry you absolutely effortlessly a very long way into the race, always provided that you stay calm and cool in the opening two or three miles.

"Control, control, control. Marathon running is all about control."

Those are Hal Higdon's words, and I've bored Sweder to death reciting them many times, I know, but that's because they really do hit it right on. Those opening minutes are when the temptation to run faster than ever before is at its peak. Once a couple of miles are behind you, that feeling disappears a little and you settle down much more easily, but believe me - a huge amount of damage can follow if you run just one of those first few miles one minute too fast. It's far too easily done. There's always that nagging fear, perhaps, of not living up to unexpected potential, and not making the best use of your form on the day. That's not to be underestimated, either, but remember that if you do start in control, you can always pick it up at 20 miles if you feel great at that stage.

They say that each minute ahead of pace in the first 10 km will cost you five minutes in the final 10 km. That doesn't actually sound too bad, at least not now - but it's really the amount of pain that goes into losing 5 minutes on the road when you're exhausted that you need to factor in there. It's that feeling you get at the end of any long run, magnified about 500 times. That overpowering desire to stop, writ larger than life itself, and the mental frustration that goes with a weakening frame. Not to mention uncomfortable levels of confusion and despair, as well as the oh-so-vivid hallucinations of a gallon of Kingfisher beer....

And if that sounds depressing or even a little frightening, it's absolutely not meant to be. It's going to be hard at times, yes, but that is what makes running a marathon one of the very best things you can ever do in your life. No one ever said it was going to be easy, and you will know that you have achieved something really special. If I tell you that your life will never be quite the same again afterwards, it will certainly sound trite. But I know it to be true.

So good luck now, Glaconman, and have a wonderful race. Make sure you enjoy it - it'll be a marvellous day to remember, and I'm really looking forward to hearing how it all goes.

Nigel

06-01-2006, 10:58 AM,
Bombay 2006 - Vultures
The reward. It's massive.

06-01-2006, 02:31 PM,
Bombay 2006 - Vultures
Nigel;

Many thanks for taking the time to post such a long and involving entry. Each word has been noted for the big day.

You also wrote something else here that stuck in my mind: it's about running as slowly as you can for as long as you can. A great mantra, and one that I shall repeat until mile 20.
06-01-2006, 03:00 PM,
Bombay 2006 - Vultures
Just for the record, Nigel did repeat the 'control' mantra a few times during our run in Almería last January; it was anything but boring. One of my favorite runs, not least for the excellence of the advice and encouragement along the way.

Nigels' remarks on the energy levels is spot on. Before London last year I went out for a last 12.5 mile blast across the downs with my Sunday pals. I curbed my enthusiasm for 11 miles before unleashing full power for the run home. My London run was my best yet.

That feeling, of being 'fully charged', ready to explode - that's a great feeling. It can lead to tension on the day, especially if the start's a bit conjested. Keep it bottled up for as long as possible and it will carry you through the hard yards.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pictures of Bombay 2006 glaconman 20 8,360 18-03-2006, 07:38 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  Bombay 2006 - Race Report glaconman 8 4,468 22-02-2006, 02:09 PM
Last Post: glaconman
  Bombay 2006 part 3 glaconman 0 1,674 27-12-2005, 05:25 AM
  Bombay 2006 Part 2 glaconman 4 2,879 24-12-2005, 11:36 AM
  Bombay Jan 2006 glaconman 8 3,407 12-12-2005, 09:42 PM