Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
World Cup 2010
10-07-2010, 08:57 AM,
RE: World Cup 2010
(07-07-2010, 09:06 AM)glaconman Wrote: Sorry to hear about the back Dan; I think we all dread the prospect of a bad-back. Hope it's sorted soon. Maybe invest in a copy of The Back Sufferers Bible to help self-treatment.

Every year most of the Keighley & Craven runners decide on a theme and use the same costume. This year it was Baywatch.

Everybody runs in a team of two on a 3 mile route between 6 pubs. You pick the bail up at the second pub and drink a pint in each of the first 5 pubs. But if you want to optimise your time it's considered best practice to keep the bail moving. So some people willl be carrying it on their own while their partner is knecking the beer in the previous pub or the next pub.

If you let your partner go on ahead with the bail, do you have to drink 2 pints (i.e. his and yours)?
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
10-07-2010, 09:43 AM,
You share a pint at each pub EG. As long as it gets drunk it doesn't matter who drinks it.
10-07-2010, 12:44 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-07-2010, 12:46 PM by Bierzo Baggie.)
There was one a bit like this where I used to live in Devon. It was called the Midsummer dream and one of the pubs always included a big cream tea with clotted cream. Last I heard they'd stopped organizing it for health and safety reasons!
Race champion's website http://jim-wallace.co.uk/events/2007even...062007.htm
11-07-2010, 09:31 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-07-2010, 09:31 PM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
Well done Spain - thought they were deserving winners over the Dutchies. Now that's over for the next few years we'd better get back to some running. Dodgy
Run. Just run.
12-07-2010, 08:39 AM,
(11-07-2010, 09:31 PM)Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote: Well done Spain - thought they were deserving winners over the Dutchies. Now that's over for the next few years we'd better get back to some running. Dodgy

Worthy winners in the end.

Can I recommend watching a match like this in the pub? Most people are complaining about it being a terrible game, but I have to say I thought it was great.

The pub was packed, so the atmosphere was loud and raucous. To me, it was a match full of goal chances (there must have been at least 5 one-on-ones with the goalie) and near-misses and spectacular fouls. A few more goals would have been fun, but really, no complaints here on entertainment value.

I guess it must have come across very differently if you were watching it at home, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Much more interesting and entertaining than the traditional over-cautious Italian chess match approach to a final.

So, all over for another 4 years. Or is it? Apparently the qualifiers for Brazil 2014 start in 11 months time Big Grin though not for us.

In the meantime, I'm having another go at reducing my dependence on the football drug. I recently cancelled my Sky football subscription. There must be more to life than this. Perhaps I'll get into the habit of going for a run while the big games are on? Hmmm. The counter-possibility is going off to the pub to watch them, which could have a far worse impact than keeping the subscription.

Compromise - going to the gym when the games are on, and watching them on their TV while using the treadmill? It could work.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
12-07-2010, 05:52 PM,
(12-07-2010, 08:39 AM)El Gordo Wrote:
(11-07-2010, 09:31 PM)Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote: Well done Spain - thought they were deserving winners over the Dutchies. Now that's over for the next few years we'd better get back to some running. Dodgy

Worthy winners in the end.

Can I recommend watching a match like this in the pub? Most people are complaining about it being a terrible game, but I have to say I thought it was great.

The pub was packed, so the atmosphere was loud and raucous. To me, it was a match full of goal chances (there must have been at least 5 one-on-ones with the goalie) and near-misses and spectacular fouls. A few more goals would have been fun, but really, no complaints here on entertainment value.

I guess it must have come across very differently if you were watching it at home, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Much more interesting and entertaining than the traditional over-cautious Italian chess match approach to a final.

So, all over for another 4 years. Or is it? Apparently the qualifiers for Brazil 2014 start in 11 months time Big Grin though not for us.

In the meantime, I'm having another go at reducing my dependence on the football drug. I recently cancelled my Sky football subscription. There must be more to life than this. Perhaps I'll get into the habit of going for a run while the big games are on? Hmmm. The counter-possibility is going off to the pub to watch them, which could have a far worse impact than keeping the subscription.

Compromise - going to the gym when the games are on, and watching them on their TV while using the treadmill? It could work.

Gracias, MLCM and EG. I think we deserved it more than the Dutch since they played in order to destroy and injure our players. Although we had some chances to score a goal, they also had very good chances such as Robben´s shot that Iker Casillas miracously sent away with his foot.

The atmosphere is great all over Spain. There are Spanish flags everywhere. Last night was a great fiesta, which continues today with the wecome and homage to the national team in Madrid.

Saludos desde Almería

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  World Cup Brazil 2014 / Weltmeisterschaft Brasilien Sweder 78 50,243 22-07-2014, 08:35 PM
Last Post: Bierzo Baggie
  Ashes 2010 Sweder 11 5,648 14-01-2011, 02:07 AM
Last Post: Sweder
  Cricket World Cup El Gordo 44 25,041 25-12-2009, 07:29 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  Big Cup, Small Crowd Sweder 14 6,253 06-06-2008, 12:14 PM
Last Post: stillwaddler
  Ryder Cup 2006 Nigel 2 1,883 22-09-2006, 11:22 AM
Last Post: El Gordo
  World Cup Nonsense Sweder 191 115,271 20-08-2006, 01:00 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  Apparently there's a World Cup or something coming up marathondan 7 3,598 26-05-2006, 03:58 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  P C World. - What a crock of shite Seafront Plodder 10 7,707 22-03-2006, 08:10 PM
Last Post: Seafront Plodder